Please pray for me ..Update on page 3

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gabrielle1976, May 13, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I never realized how bad my Fear of being trapped was till I had my MRI today , I mentioned to the Dr I didnt like be closed up so she gave me a presription for a mild seditive to take , But of course I forgot to take the dang thing , So I go and Im ok till they put me in that Dang thing they had pads and pillows and things all stuck everywhere so my arms were tight against my chest to the point I coudnt take a full deep breath they screwed this trap over my face so I coudnt move my head then coverd my eyes,
    I cant bealve how freaked out I got even though all I was doing was laying down , my brain knew it was nothing to be fearfull about but my body shure thought someone was trying to kill it.
    Anyone else have a hard time with MRI's
    Im hopeing I dont need another one [​IMG]

Edited title to ask for prayr

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Don't feel bad about it. This happens to alot of people. Sometimes at the hospital we have to have anastesia put a patient completely out with chemical sedation.

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    it's very very common. That's why he gave you the prescription for the sedative. They always ask you if you have a fear of confined spaces before giving MRIs in case you need to be sedated - they don't like to sedate you unless it's necessary, but because they take so long and you need to be so still, they give it to people who really freak out.

Next time, just be sure to take the medicine and you should be fine. Also, when in there, close your eyes and try to drift off - don't focus on what's going on around you. Did they give you headphones with music? Many hospitals do that and it can help distract you.

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    They coverd my eyes so I coudnt see to help and gave me ear plugs but nothing to listen to.
    I got bad new a little while ago , A nurse from my inshruance called , and said she had the pre aprovel for my MRI, I said oh and called my neroligists office , my neroligist saw the MRI and called my inshurance with a rush request for 2 more MRIs she wants them tammrow. This makes me nervous not only I really didnt like the MRI but because it took them years of me telling them my arms were going numb and 2 other tests to get them to ok an MRI in the first place and that took My inshurance company 2 weeks to get around to aproveing , WHat the heck is going on that after one they want two more and they want them rushed???
    I asked the nurse who answered the phone and she just said the Dr wanted one with contrast . Im so counfused [​IMG]

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I don't like going into elevators or having a sleeping bag zipped up around me [​IMG] I understand where you're coming from. I try to hide from my kids under the blankets [​IMG] but it doesn't last very long, I get all freaked out.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Hopefully the hospital will be helpful and notify the insurance of the need to rush. Some insurance companies are better than others at that sort of thing.

I know it's scary now that they're in a rush to get other scans, but my only advice is that it is only harder on you to worry. Just know that whatever it is, it may be something, it may be nothing, but you can't change it right now and worrying will only make you feel worse. Also, you can't change that you have to have two more scans, so don't worry about those and just go into it with the mentality that you'll get through the scans fine and that nothing bad will happen to you during them. A positive attitude helps so much and stressing and worrying is hard on the body.

It's too bad you don't go to OHSU in Portland - they give me headphones with music and they can talk to me through them too. It's really nice.

Good luck to you! Hopefully it will go smoothly and be over before you know it.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Hiya! Sorry you had a bad experience. They have what are called "open" MRIs - their imaging resolution isn't quite as good as the closed MRIs - but they are really great for folks that do not enjoy tight spaces! So ask your doc to refer you to a radiology clinic that has an "open" MRI!!!

Here is a link to a pic of an open MRI - gives you an idea of the difference.
    http://www.auburnopenmri.com/images/1.jpg

Also - if you ever have to have an MRI on your brain - ask if they have a "head only" MRI or can refer you to a clinic that has one of them - they still put a coil on your head - but your body is not covered - you don't have the feeling that you are trapped in there.

Here is a link to a pic of a head only MRI
    http://www.princeton.edu/~fmri/Images/scanner_small.png

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    thank you . I will try to relax , and I certainly wont forget my seditive again [​IMG] the one they used looks like the second picture .
    Takeing a deep breath [​IMG]

9. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Still breathing , with all the other stuff going on I think ill need a seditive tonight just to sleep , I may have to cull all my eggs and I pray to god not my chicks , and the Dr office called and they scedualed me an MRI for 6:45 am tammrow morning . Breath Breath Breath

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:You'll be okay, just focus on the regular breathing. Try to relax, it will be all right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by