Please pray for Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by bawkbawkbawk, May 8, 2009.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

More than 20,000 people have now been evacuated.

The fire is stretching 5 miles long above the city; from Goleta to Montecito. The fire has now overlapped both the area of last fall's Tea Fire as well as that of last summer's Gap Fire.

We know that a minimum of 75 homes have burned; probably closer to 100 at this point.

What happens next depends almost entirely upon the weather. Fierce afternoon and evening sundowner winds have fueled the inferno three days running. They expect tonight to be the same so the specific prayer request is that the winds would be calmed.

Thank you.

2. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Praying here

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Prayers being sent.

My sister's family was evacuated last night [​IMG] I hadnt seen this thread... I started one for my sister in this section too.

Nancy

4. bawkbawkbawk

What area is your sister in?

5. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Painted Cave

6. bawkbawkbawk

Painted Cave

She was probably evacuated because the fire jumped the 154 late last night. It was very, very grim at that point and I believe they were worried about the fire jumping the 101 as well.

However, this morning things are MUCH CALMER on that end. We've had a slight cooling trend off the ocean and the winds in that area have significantly eased.

However, Montecito is a different story. They've struggled with sustained gusts up to 49 mph which we hope are lessening by now. They've evacuated Westmont College, parts of which just burned in last fall's Tea Fire.

I hope your sister has friends with whom to stay. At this point almost everyone has been evacuated so there aren't many safe places left. [​IMG]

7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Lived in SBA for many years - been wondering how things were going... so soon after the other fire ..

And any news on the donkey that went missing? It was a rescue donkey had a foal - they have been looking for it - was mentioned in one of the local papers...

8. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Yes they are staying with friends, they have lived there since graduating from UCSB over 25 years ago.

Nancy

9. bawkbawkbawk

haven't heard about the donkey, sorry.

things still looking calm-ish on the western end of the fire.

bought lunch for some firefighters who had been working the Mission Canyon area who said things were pretty bad around the Botanic Garden/Tunnel Road area, if you remember where that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by