Please Pray for Victor, Update! He's coming home today!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Our precious 2 year old fawn and white runner Victor is going into surgery today to have her Ovaries removed. Despite the boy name, Victor is a girl, but will have the girlie parts removed today (Spayed). Victor has been laying very weird eggs and has been having trouble with egg binding since 6 months old. We had an emergency a few nights ago and have concluded that surgery is the best route. The Surgery is very risky, but not having the surgery ensures a short life with an early death due to egg binding. This way, we'll know Vic won't have a problem again. Luckily our vet is great and has spayed ducks before so she knows what she is doing. I had to put down a $1000 dollar deposit with it most likely costing another $1000 when all is said and done. Vic will probably have to stay over night at least one night, possibly 2 depending on his/her progress.

Has anyone ever had a chicken or duck be spayed before? I've heard of luprin to keep them from laying eggs, but it's expensive and doesn't always work. Any insight on this kind of surgery on a duck would help put my mind at ease. And all well wishes and posts will be read to Victor once he comes home (He likes the computer).

The link to vote for victor is in my siggy

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    It is obvious that Victor is a very special duck and that you are a very special person --- sending positive thoughts your way -- kisses to Victor --- :)

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Praying for Victor's surgery to be very successful and for an easy recovery for her. [​IMG]
    Odd how these little feathered creatures worm their way so deeply into our hearts, isn't it?

4. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    Prayers are on the way for Victor! [​IMG]

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I hope all goes well today for Victor. Please keep up posted. I'm sure she will do fine.

6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hi Nettie, best wishes for Victor, I'm sure she will be fine, she is in good hands. BTW, I worked for 10 years (in several different hospitals) as a Vet Tech and never saw or heard of spaying a duck. But obviously it can be done. I can't believe it costs that much though! Wow! I guess you are paying for the rarity of a vet who has the skill & expertise to do this. Give her a kiss for me. [​IMG]

7. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Good luck Victor!

I'm sure she will be up and about quacking like mad before you know it!

8. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I remember reading on another duck group that someone had their duck spayed because of egg issues.

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Hoping the best for Victor's surgery! [​IMG] I'm glad you got her the help she needs and I hope she recovers quickly and easily.

10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Update on Victor- He just got out of surgery, and is still alive. He is not out of the woods yet, as there were complications with his surgery and it took longer than expected, and he will be spending the night in the hospital. It's looking like his surgery will be on the high end, and we'll have to worry about risk...

The Oviducts were diseased and bonded to the surrounding organs. They also found egg yolk in his belly cavity and had to clean it out. He has to stay over night, and possible tomorrow night as well, depending on how he does.

the risks include the ovaries not getting the hint from the missing oviducts to stop ovulating and they could product egg yolk in the belly cavity. If that happens, we'll have to watch out for signs of being sick, and bring him in for either antibiotics or to have the fluid drained/cleaned out (Which could mean another surgery).

There is also the idea of putting him on Luprin (sp) to help stop ovulation, but it's a $200 shot every 1-2 weeks for like 4-8 weeks in a row... Man oh man.... Looks like we'll be living on ramen and instant potatoes for a while.... With absolutely no spending. Here's to hoping we win some of our halloween costume contests, both for us and the ducks.

If you have facebook, and care to help out, please spread the word about Victor being in the photo contest for petsmart. The link to it is in my siggy. Get everyone you know to vote! Winning even a small daily prize will help us out greatly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by