Please rate this incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster58, Jan 23, 2017.

1. rooster58

rooster58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I wouldn't get that one, it looks like it's a cheap one that really probably won't work well. With incubators you really get what you pay for. For about $60 more you could get an Incuview from Incubator Warehouse that will work much better or you could even just go with a Hovabator which likely works better than this Walmart incubator.

3. kelly52862

kelly52862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    I used a Hovabator for years and it finally died. It was amazing. I purchased the one like you are looking, but it is a single. I have only done one hatch in it, but had a tough time keeping them temps constant. I finally wrapped it with towels, which helped.

4. rooster58

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY

Thank you so much for giving me your input. So would you buy it again if you could have a redo?

5. kelly52862

kelly52862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    No, would not buy it again. I thought the Hovabator looked cheap, but it was amazing!

6. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Wal-Mart didn't have reviews on that particular incu, or at least I didn't see any. I did find some for it on Amazon, most had not anything good to say about it.
    [​IMG]
    I always figure buy once and buy right if there is any doubt even if it costs. I got the hova-bator 1588 with IncuTurn turner, was about $209 ? With shipping and works great. If I had to do it again though the hovas are thin styrofoam and IMHO not worth that much no matter how well they work.
    Incubatorwarehouse also has do it yourself kits for desk top and cabinets. Wish I built my own with a minifridge or good cooler. Would have been cheaper and way more sturdy.

7. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Yeah I definitely would not get that one. Beer Can has good advice. Buy the best you can afford even if it means waiting to save for what you need. You'll stay interested for a lot longer if you have something that works well. I don't know how many eggs you're planning to hatch in a sitting but if you can swing it Rcom makes some really nice, very stable incubators for smaller batches. They're pricey but I understand they work great. I went with a Sportsman cabinet incubator but only because I plan to hatch quite a few eggs. Most people probably don't need a cabinet incubator but a good quality smaller size will bring you the most joy.

8. rooster58

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Thank you all so much. I will pass on that one. I'm not in a hurry to hatch yet. It's still too cold for me to be comfy hatching right now. Maybe in April I will try hatching some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by