1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please read animals sick Cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monkeyspinner, Nov 21, 2009.

1. monkeyspinner

monkeyspinner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Arcata, CA
    I had a local person Diagnose two of my birds with Cocci. So I am treating them with Sulmet. My question is I think they have Sour crop. Can I put Vinegar in the same water as the Sulmet?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. monkeyspinner

Apr 22, 2009
    Arcata, CA
    BUMP.... REALLY Need help here one roo died and another hen is really sick please help

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't know anything about sour crop but most birds that have cocci really bad won't eat or drink so you need to administer food & water by hand. I made a thin gruel with the medicated water and chick starter and fed it by dropper and made sure they kept warm. hth

4. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    No I would not add anything but the meds to the water.

What are you seeing as far as the crop problem?

5. monkeyspinner

Apr 22, 2009
    Arcata, CA
    With the roo it was full. I can't tell if it smells sour. But they haven't been eating a whole lot jsut some but the crop seems bigger and full of water. I am concerned that if the water isn't leaving the crop then it might not be getting the antibiotics absorbed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by