PLEASE READ - Anyone who has dealt with infected eyes in a duckling - RICHMOND, VA area waterfowl ow

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickengirl15, Mar 27, 2012.

1. chickengirl15

chickengirl15 New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    I have a one week old peking duckling whose right eye is sealed shut and QUITE infected, I need a veterinarian in the Richmond VA area asap who can practice on waterfowl but the closest I can find is in Yorktown!! I've had her for 3-4 days and now she is starting to feel like she is feverish and warm. I need to know where I can take her for medical attention and what I can do in the mean time to try and help keep her going. I took her home from the Southern States where I work, I do not know the source of the infected eye. I have been doing warm compresses and putting a topical antibacterial in both eyes. Please, anything will help! I have NO experience with ducks.

2. chickengirl15

chickengirl15 New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    Also, what antibiotics can ducks have and not have? I know they're not all the same as my chickens, I just don't know what the difference is.

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Go to a pharmacy and get some antibiotic eye ointment or eye drops that are for conjunctivitis in humans. Use this on your duck - do both eyes even if one seems ok (since the infection will probably spread if you don't). I've bought a product called Chlorsig to successfully treat a drake with an eye infection. I gave it to him twice or three times a day for about four to five days. I used eye drops. Don't touch the tip of the bottle to the duck or you will introduce the bacteria to the bottle and ruin the medication.

First I'd use a saline solution to clean the eye up. Use a teaspoon of salt in some just-warm water and try to clean up the eye with it using a q-tip or very very small soft paint brush or a Kleenex.

Just one thing to consider - is there any chance of an eye injury or are you pretty sure it's an infection?

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Ps. Seeking vet attention is a good plan too as it sounds like the problem might be quite advanced.

Fingers crossed here that you find a suitable vet. In the meantime try the conjunctivitis medication.

5. chickengirl15

chickengirl15 New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    She came straight from the hatchery with her right eye already swollen shut. Who knows what happened! Thank you so much for your info, its a good start. I called my normal dog/cat vet and he's willing to take a look at her =/ We've used him for 10+ years and I really trust him so hopefully if he can't treat it he'll recommend me to someone who can...

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please let us know what he thinks and hoping your little ones heals quickly with your love and attention. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by