Please Read! Bromethrin Rat Poison Warning!

Pics

HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
I've had a blind hen for a year now, she's been acting fine (except for the fact she's blind) and nothing seemed wrong other than her beak had started to overgrow.
I've had this cat since last July. Very friendly and seemed plump and healthy as usual.
This morning I walk outside to do chores, and the cat was laying dead in its favorite sleeping spot. It was still drooling when I found it, but it was definitely dead. Rigor had just begun to set in.
I go in my chicken house, my blind hen was dead in her favorite spot, the odd thing is she had died sitting up, I thought she was sleeping. Sadly she wasn't.
Currently I'm missing another cat who's about 1 and a half years old. I haven't found anything yet.

I know this is the dumbest question, as cats and birds are not even related at all, but are there any diseases that can kill a cat and hen in a matter of 12 hours with no side effects? Has anyone ever experienced this? Both animals were perfectly fine yesterday. I am not doing a necropsy on either one, the vets office is closed today and I will be gone the rest of the week. Horrible timing for everything.
This is probably just a heartbreaking coincidence, I just want to be sure. My hen was exposed to my entire flock and chicks, so I'm slightly concerned about them.
This is really disgusting so sorry about the following sentence, but you know how when animals die they pass stool? Neither the cat or chicken did, their bodies and deathbeds were perfectly clean. Except for the cat's drool....
Thanks to the amazing minds of BYC, the cause has been determined. A hailstorm was on its way, what came first was some of the worst winds we've had in a while. It blew open the window of a shed which contained BROMETHRIN Rat Poison which has NO antidote. After my original post, my cats began dropping like flies. After an unfortunate vet visit, these next 48 hours will show whether or not I will lose all my cats.
I encourage you to read through the first 6 pages of comments, as there is crucial information anyone who uses poison, or considers it, should read.

Here is some brief tips:
Check your mouse or rat poison bag for the ingredient Bromethrin. Bromethrin is a toxin that attacks the brain, there is no cure, ingestion means death. My vet did mention, if YOUR pet ingests Bromethrin and you catch it RIGHT AWAY, there is a 20 minute window to rush them to an emergency vet. They flush the system with charcoal and vitamin K and there is a small chance your pet can recover. After 20 minutes, the poison begins screwing up the brain and it is too late.

Symptoms for this include constant twitching, seizures, dialated eyes, unable to control bladder/bowels, inability to walk, vomiting, constant meowing, behavior changes, and paralysis.
These are the symptoms I experienced, there could be more.

To the cat that experienced paralysis and the other who had seizures, I kept them in a kennel and made them comfortable. Since their brain is no longer functioning correctly, they do not understand what's going on and do not feel pain. When Bromethrin effects your pet, your beloved pet is no longer 'there', what is left is the brain glitching and failing.
It was an awful decision, but I did not euthanize. The vet gave me the cost and euthanasia for the affected cats would be over 400$. She was nice enough to say that the only reason to euthanize at that point would be so I didn't have to watch, but the cat is unaware and dying wasn't painful.
I spend the evening last night sitting with Aela, one of the poisoned cats, and about an hour before she passed, she closed her eyes and began purring nonstop, and her brother did the same. It was a bit comforting, but still heartbreaking.

If you have a rodent problem and own other pets, or have a neighbor with pets, I suggest mouse and rat traps using peanut butter as bait. It works better than cheese. Something else mentioned was look online for DIY live traps.

Please, learn from MY mistake and don't buy poisons. Especially poisons with Bromethrin! We all understand, rodents cost us money and bring diseases. There are other, much safer ways to dispose of them!

Save a life and pass on this information, we need to spread the word so no one else has to go through this nightmare. Not many people are aware of this horror known as Bromethrin.

God bless you all

Last edited:
Oh dear! You aren't putting out poison bait for the mice are you?
Not where they can reach. The only poison on my farm is located in the garage and the pool shed, which no animals are ever inside. I always lock the doors and do a head count to make sure no one got in. That was my First thought too, there's just no access to it. I just checked and the poison is untouched, so the cats never got a poisoned mouse either.

I've had a blind hen for a year now, she's been acting fine (except for the fact she's blind) and nothing seemed wrong other than her beak had started to overgrow.
I've had this cat since last July. Very friendly and seemed plump and healthy as usual.
This morning I walk outside to do chores, and the cat was laying dead in its favorite sleeping spot. It was still drooling when I found it, but it was definitely dead. Rigor had just begun to set in.
I go in my chicken house, my blind hen was dead in her favorite spot, the odd thing is she had died sitting up, I thought she was sleeping. Sadly she wasn't.
Currently I'm missing another cat who's about 1 and a half years old. I haven't found anything yet.

I know this is the dumbest question, as cats and birds are not even related at all, but are there any diseases that can kill a cat and hen in a matter of 12 hours with no side effects? Has anyone ever experienced this? Both animals were perfectly fine yesterday. I am not doing a necropsy on either one, the vets office is closed today and I will be gone the rest of the week. Horrible timing for everything.
This is probably just a heartbreaking coincidence, I just want to be sure. My hen was exposed to my entire flock and chicks, so I'm slightly concerned about them.
This is really disgusting so sorry about the following sentence, but you know how when animals die they pass stool? Neither the cat or chicken did, their bodies and deathbeds were perfectly clean. Except for the cat's drool....
Oh your poor poor hen and cat so sorry. I lost a chicken today only Got her yesterday she was a light Sussex.

Oh your poor poor hen and cat so sorry. I lost a chicken today only Got her yesterday she was a light Sussex.

How about antifreeze---I'm still thinking poisoning of some kind....
You were spot on, something made me go back to the pool shed. That damned wind storm last night blew the back window open and they popped the lid off the bucket, not the chunks I had sitting out. One collapsed in front of me and I am rushing her to a different vet im unfamiliar with and assuming every cat got it as much is missing. That doesnt explain the chicken as she was locked up all day yesterday, but that answers the cat question.
This is why I don't buy rat poison, but it isn't my building so I can't control what they put in it.
Thank you and God bless you, even if I can't save this cat I'll be able to save the others. If you hadn't pushed the poison thought I probably wouldn't have gone back in the shed to give a second look.
I take full responsibility for this, I should've pressed for other means of rodent control.

Back
Top Bottom