please read chick skin ripped off any hope

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbiechickenowner, Jul 20, 2011.

1. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    I went out to find that our less than week old chick was outside the chicken coop and upon finding him/her, someone or something (I am thinking the other banty whom might not live here any more!) so literally the skin is pulled right down like a chicken in the store. Her whole right side is exposed muscle, tissue, bone...no damage to any of that...just completely skinned. I brought her in, cleaned it up with Betadine and put gauze with antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped her. She can't stand up because of the wrap. She has lived for a couple of hours now, which I can't believe. Has ANYONE EVER HAD A CHICK THIS INJURED ACTUALLY SURVIVE? Because of the cream, there is no way that the skin will actually adhere to her side walls....when would I try to wipe it all clean and get it dry under the gauze in hopes of some adhesion? Otherwise, it is hanging down right over her little leg even...just a giant flap from her midline on her back stripped right down to expose even her leg joint and upper thigh.....

Anyone with good news or is this just a sad situation? Favorite chick out of teh whole flippin group too...why is it that way>>????? WHY???????????????????????????? They hatched out 2 and 3, respectively, and I am just in love with this one because it always seemed a bit "slow" and sweet and it definately has auracona or americauna (father is a blue wyandotte).

Any info would be great.

THanks

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Well if you can keep it sterile you might be ok. There is a post somewhere on here where a turken (breed with no feathers on the neck) was ripped open on his neck and they stitched it. If my memory serves me right he turned out fine.But depending on how long she was like this before you spotted it there may be an infection and in that case little hope. Have you figured out how it happened so you can prevent this for your other ones?

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    There's been some recoveries with horrific skinnings and injuries. Bird refeather and everything. I'd say keep her in a calm comfortable situation for awhile and see how she does. Shock is your biggest enemy right now followed by infection. She might be fine. It sounds like you're doing the right thing so far.

4. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    I also read a post where they steri stripped it back together leaving a smaller tear (you figure this is over 1/3 of her tiny body exposed) so I did bandaid steristrip the hanging pieces closer together... i figured that was the best shot and leaves room for antibiotic treatment but doesnt completely close wound to trap it.

5. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    He is just screaming because he is in the house in a crate all by himself...I feel so bad, but, he obviously can't go back outside. Hopefully, when it gets dark....he will stop? Poor bugger....I don't think antibiotics in his water would help right?

6. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    So far it sounds like you are doing the right things. Chickens do have an amazing recovery rate, and i hope your little one makes it. Put it in a little box tonight by you and maybe you can comfort it and keep it from crying. Of course, that is just me. I would sleep with it in my bed but for fear of killing it. [​IMG]

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would cull the baby. But I support you in whatever you choose. Keep the babe in a dark, quiet, warm place with access to food and water.[​IMG]

8. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    well...since he is currently snuggled up in my neck....I am thinking culling is out of the question [​IMG] . I will give it a shot...I can't believe the shock didn't kill her right off...that is a serious injury. I will try and give here a chance. We have over a 100 ducklings right now, but, we only hatched out 5 chickens and that is because the seabrights went broody on one standard egg and on NO egg, respectively [​IMG] So, I stuffed a couple under each one.[​IMG]

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Lots of TLC sweetie, LOTS....

10. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Sunds like you are doing the right thing. I'll keep you and the little chick in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck, keep doing what you are..[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mollie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by