"please read" hen is sitting on two many eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alove4animals, May 6, 2009.

1. alove4animals

alove4animals Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    telford tn
    Ok she must be a loving mother, not sure but we are confused! a total of 2 eggs have hatch and we pulled 5 out after looking at them 2 seem to be nothing in there and the other 3 had veins showing with a black dot so we left them.
    Then the next day we went back in the coop and she now has 4 more."WOW"
    We are new to this and don't know what and how she is doing this.She's looking skinny and has been in that coop forever.
    Is she a suragate for our other hens, Because the 2 that hatched are not batams,and they hatched 2 days apart.Concerned in TN

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Don't worry...after 48-72 hours post chick hatching she'll get off the nest and start leading them around. Just make sure there is water and food close by so that the chicks can get to it until then.

3. alove4animals

alove4animals Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    telford tn
    2 of them where just walking around the pin, mom still on nesting box.thank goddness it was early or they would have been someones breakfast.
    she showed no interest or even a worry about them.This was 2 days ago and we put them under a heat lamp put water in a bowl and starter food in a tray,they seem to be ok.Then I went in to check her again and guess what another egg,that makes 5 now...

4. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    The momma shouldn't be in with the other hens...they will keep laying in the nest and they may kill the chicks that have hatched. You should separate her out and if she is getting thin, I would take away the eggs and force her off the nest to care for her babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by