Please read I need help with candling!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LindseyM12, Aug 5, 2009.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Songster

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have 7 brown eggs under a broody. When can I candle them and see something?

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I wouldnt candle till at least day 10. That way you will definetely see something in them if they are growing. I know it's hard to wait that long but you will have a better chance of seeing viening and heart beat and such. Good luck! [​IMG] Keep us posted.

Chef

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    yes, you should be able I think at 5-7 days old...dark dark room...what I did was get a tiolet paper roll, I put in a small flash light inside...it was wobbley so I took it out, wrapped paper around it to fit, and inserted it again. sat it on the counter. Grabbed and egg MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS ARE CLEAN!!!!

then I held the egg on its side not with the big side down or up...on its side...I slowly turned it, held it there, looked...let eyes get adjusted, turned slowly....I could see the eye movement!!!!

Im due on Aug 7th!!!! good luck!!!! pm if you still have questions...

4. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Songster

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yeah I just got hatching eggs today and i am going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    LOL... I know the feeling all to well! It gets easier after a few batches. Like the other poster said the darker the room the better, and clean hands are good too [​IMG]

Chef

6. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Songster

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hey I am now on day 14 and all I can see is dark all dark except for the air sac, are the developing?

7. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    I found this to be fairly helpful to me, out of most of the diagrams I found. Especially with the darker shelled eggs.
    [​IMG]

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    On day 14, and all you see is the air sac...i'd say theres a good chance that the eggs are full of baby chick....congrats....

9. bHen

bHen Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    Westfield, IN
    Hey, I'm a newby too. Just be carefull if you are that far and cannot see anything... the egg may have gone bad. If it starts to smell you might want to toss it before it explodes. I am always hesitant to toss them, just in case... Good luck with your hatch!

10. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Songster

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: