PLEASE READ!! Lethargic young chicken, impacted throat / crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DutchChicky, Feb 6, 2009.

1. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    PLEASE READ AND SEE IF YOU CAN HELP!!!!!
    My favorite bay chicken is dying, this is the 3rd one in about four weeks.It's been the young ones and my favorite, the tame ones. Figures , right?!!?!?

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    She is a cochin, born August 23rd ( about 5 1/2 months old)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She was staying in the coop on the roost. didn't come out to eat or drink.
    Her throat feels full and hard all the way down to her crop, crop itself is soft and feels empty.I can't see anything if I open her mouth.
    Lethargic, shaking a little if cold. Diarrhea, watery light yellow with green strands. is laying chest on floor , tail up in the air, wings down. Barely keeping her head up, closes her eyes a lot.
    since writing this , she can't keep herself up, is laying on her side.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    No clue, nothing out of the ordinary.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Layre pellets/crumble , table scrabs: greens fruit, bread(no meat)

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    watery light yellow with green strands
    Tried to do the finger check to see if eggbound, felt nothing (of course have no idea if I did it right, never had chickens till last spring, is only one hole right? poop and egg exit , same?!?!

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Took her inside , tried bread soaked in olive oil, didn't want anything.
    gave her some vitamin water and aplle cider vinegar by syringe. Massaged the throat from up-down
    2 weeks ago gave the whole bunch (12) anti-biotic cure(Duramycin-10 tetracycline hydrochloride) and a wormer (wazine). Did that because I lost 2 , same age, one 4weeks ago one 3 weeks ago. Same symptons.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    no vet around who treats or knows anything about chickens

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Wooden chickencoop with shavings, free range during the day.

Can somebody tell me where and how if she passes (looks like it , it is getting so much worse in only the time i'm trying to write this), I can send her to to be checked out? do you freeze?
    wich institute or organaztion?
    Thanks!!!
    Have pic's but can't figure how to ad them.

2. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    To Post Photos On BYC Forum:

The easiest way to display your coop, chickens, and other fun pictures on BYC is to use the BYC Image Upload Tool . Here are the steps:

1) Click on the "Uploads " link at the very top of every page (in the blue menu bar).
    2) Once the "Upload image" page loads, click the "Browse" button and find the jpg or gif picture on your computer and then click the "Submit" button.
    3) Your image will be uploaded (and resized if needed) and you will be presented with a thumbnail of your picture along with two image code options:

Thumb - This is the code you use to show a small version of your image that can be clicked to show the full size image.
    Image - This is the code you use to show the full size image directly in your post.

4) Copy the image code and paste it into your post.

We provide all of our members with with enough space for about 50 images. If you need more image hosting space you can upgrade your BYC membership to a Golden Feather Membership which will give you space for about 500 images.

3. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Thanks Crazy chicken for the info, will try right away

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  4. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    ok so the picture thing worked!! 3 times over
    chicken is now with her beak on floor , just shaking, tried flopping and getting her feet under her ,with no luck! [​IMG]
    Could cry!!! She was SO sweet!!
    Had plans to have beautifull babies from her and my Columbian rooster
    just desperate to find out if I'm doing something wrong.
    # in one month, can't be coincidence!
    All had the hard throat, almost like a muscle spasm!

5. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Hold on I do not know what the problem is but I know some people who might ! In the mean time massage her crop maybe to loosen it up. I know how hard it is to lose the nice tame ones the are always the best. help is on the way ..... [​IMG] RIP Peach [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  6. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    I'm so sorry, did she die or is she still hanging in there?

Here is a link from the other sticky at the top of this section called "other references", you can use this to find a vet to do a necropsy on your bird. It said to contact your state vet office and inquire about options.

http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/StateVets.htm

It sounds like you are doing all you can, so I would want some answers, too... Hopefully they can help you out!!

[​IMG]

7. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    Was your bird cold or chilled? Also, do you hear any respiratory strain while she is breathing?

8. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I would hate to have to send one of my birds to get sliced up, but if it was the only way to find out what is wrong.

Is she still hanging in there oh where is dlh when you need her.

9. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    hello
    thanks for response
    She did pass away
    it looked like she had seizures
    her head bent all the way back, she stayed like that for close to 10 min.
    im the mean time losing her bowels and her feet all stretched out
    it looked like she was dead but was alive in that position for awhile. Her head was bend all the way back to touch her backside. She wasn't breathing heavily. Stopped the head shake though.
    nobody any clue as what it could be
    So traumatic to see it happening before yoiur eyes!
    Any idea where to send the body out to have it checked, labratory or something?

10. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    I would ABSOLUTELY send for necropsy if at all feasible in your situation!! Yes, it's kind of sad to do it, but considering the problems you are having and your need for answers, it really is the best and possibly only way.

I think you are right to want to do this for your other birds.

Edited to add; awwww, I'm so sorry, she was very very pretty!! [​IMG]

Did you check out the link I posted for you with the state vet info?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by