please read! need answers!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allmychickens, Feb 28, 2012.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    How long should it take from the first crack to fully out?
    It's been 4 hours since my chick started, hes still pipping but no farther attemps to crack! Should I hand hatch him? (I know how)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I usually give them 10-12hours after pip then give them a hand. I also am quick with the door and mist the bator when I put them back in to get the humidity back up quick. I just lost a chick because I waited to long now I feel bad I should have gone with my instincts instead of text.

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I give them 24 hours before I help.

4. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    im going to bed soon and I cant wake up in the middle of the night to help it if needed! ts temp is a bit low, should I help it now?

5. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Try to raise the temp if it is low. I would wait until morning before helping. Pulling then waiting to hatch let's the took get fully absorbed and let's the veins shrink up. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

6. coops gone crazy

coops gone crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    One of mine was pipped when I got up at 6 this morning. I had to go to work and had a long day and didn't get home until 10pm. It was just breaking out of the shell when I got home and seems to be doing very well! Give it time maybe.

7. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Its so hard wanting to help but you will have to sit on your hands[​IMG]. The baby pips to breath then it stays in the shell to absorbe the yolk sac and gives time for the veins to dry up. Keep us updated and good luck [​IMG]

8. allmychickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    i couldnt help myself! i opened the shell half way hen put it bck to do the rest. this morning i woke up to a little fluffy chick up and running :)

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Congrats! Glad it worked out!

Good job. I always wait 24 hrs post pip to allow the yolk to be absorbed. Of course, I do check on the chick by peeping and it will peep back, if its awake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by