please read! need some bumblefoot advice please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reneeeWA, Feb 25, 2014.

1. reneeeWA

reneeeWA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    North East Nevada
    I have a hen with bumblefoot and am looking for non invasive treatment options. After scouring the internet, I have decided to go with a sugar betadine compress to see if I can draw out the infection.everywhere I read where people have done surgery or used other methods to cure bumblefoot on their chickens, they are always mentioning the use of antibiotics. My question is, where is everyone getting these antibiotics? I don't know of any otc or a vet that would just give them out, you would have to take your animal in and get them that way right? at the recommendation of many people, it was advised that I use Oxine in their drinking water but can it can be used as an antibiotic? Its supposed to kill everything. Im thinking of doing the Oxine in the water for about 10 days or so. I also read in many places that bumblefoot is inherently difficult to completely eradicate. I tried opening her scab up the other day to get some of the infection out but no pus or anything came out and I'm not a big fan of digging around in her foot as it was clearly causing her a lot of pain. I have a vet appointment set for next week but I am NOT especially keen on such an invasive surgery and using a harsh antibiotic that may or may not work for her. Does anyone have any experience in this regard? Do you think I would be safe to try the poultice and the oxine? She appears okay with everything else and it's not a huge scab really, maybe the size of pencil eraser. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated so I can help my girl the best way :) thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Procaine Penicillin G injection is available at most feed stores in the refrigerated medicines for around $10. Then you need 4 syringes and 4 20 gauge needles. It is given 1/4 ml daily for 4 days into the breast muscle for staph infections such as bumble foot. It is not necessary though if you will make a deep enough incision around the black scab, and get the core out. I usually go in at an angle around the dark spot angling down toward the center. Pus in chickens hardens into a cheese consistancy, so it take s much squeezing to get the staph kernel out. This almost instantly relieves the pain from bumble foot. Then pack the wound with Neosporin, gauze, and vet wrap. Since your going to the vet, I would let the vet do it--it will take about 10 minutes. If you watch, you can learn how to do it because it will come in handy with chickens.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. reneeeWA

reneeeWA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    North East Nevada
    Thank you for your very thoughtful response.what an excellent idea to go and see if they will let me watch how they do it.I've seen a few videos of people doing the surgery on their chickens but they were not licensed professionals. Hopefully my vet will let me watch. I also have another hen, come to find out, she has a very small case of bumblefoot that has hardened and this might be easier practice for me after watching. the hen with the larger scab I think is a bit too intense for me to do right now especially when I don't know what I'm doing. I totally forgot about the penicillin that is available at feed stores. Thank you very very much for those dosage instructions because that would have been my next question! :) One last question; what are your thoughts on using oxine in water as a preventive a few times a week along with soaking/scrubbing all feet maybe every other week with betadine? Im learning being offensive/preventive is the best in regards to animal husbandry. I dont want to have to deal with this again or at least such a bad case. I've made adjustments in coop & run & will watch them closely i guess. Thank you again for getting back to me & sorry for babbling lol! :)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have a lot of small sharp rocks around my run and chicken yard, and my chickens have bumblefoot quite often. I don't do much about it if it is not swollen, red, or painful. If it looks bad or there is a limp, I will do surgery, otherwise I ignore it. I get disposable scalpels for the surgery at Tractor Supply in the cattle/goat/pig section. I haven't ever used oxine, but here is a link that I have read many times about it: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by