please read? silver penciled cochin with wry neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, May 16, 2010.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I've been reading about wry neck, could it be this? she is exhibiting the symptoms of this disorder. I went and got selenium with vitamin e, crushed a tablet and put it with grated apple, plain greek yogurt, chick starter, 3 drops of polyvisol. I have her in a box in my bedroom on towels and am dribbling water on her beak. any encouragement or words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated. Her eye is now open. it turns out she had a piece of wood shaving in it.
    [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sadly it does look wry neck to me.. It sounds like you are doing all you can.. Keep up the good work

3. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    thank you, she actually seems much better today but I will continue the vitamin, yogurt, egg regimen for a few days. Should I be giving her B vitamins?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I remember reading of one BYcer who gently massaged the neck on hers, and said it helped quite a bit. It couldn't hurt.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    crush up a pill of selenium and a pill of vitamin e. Put the selenium in its food and/or water or in an eyedropper with water and feed, squirt a capsul of vitamin e twice a day in mouth. Do this for a week or so and it should get better. Takes a few days to really show an effect.

Good Luck [​IMG]

ETA did not read it all, looks like you are doing all you can, it will improve just takes a few days.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  6. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    jean, check your email. I wrote to you
    Alex [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by