Please read this. I have sick chickens...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oegipus, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Oegipus

Oegipus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to this, and this is my first post.

I have a light Brahma with an eye that's been puffy and swollen for a month or so. I've been observing her, and the eye itself has been gone for a while. The others peck at the lid, and prolong it's healing process. I'm hesitant to give antibiotics, and figured it would work itself out, and that she'll be fine with one eye. Maybe someone can suggest a treatment or plan? I'm not negligent. It wasn't from sickness, I'm almost sure. I think her eye was hurt in transit to my house.

The other hen is an Americana, and she had a watery eye. The next day, her face was swollen, and she had crust around her beak. No smell.
    The rooster had a watery eye too. I put the whole lot(7) on antibiotics (oxytetracycline), and the rooster got better. The Americana (rose) is not really getting better or worse. It's been five days or so. I have photos. these links should be good:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gael_mckeon/4182071370/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gael_mckeon/4181307663/

They both live in a tractor that I built. It's ventilated and insulated. It's dry. They have straw bedding. they free range in the day time. The Americauna has mushy poop. They are both young, just on the verge of laying, but not yet. working on their combs.
    Not sure how much they weigh. I think the Brahma is a bit light, though.

Thank you.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Swollen eye with out a rank smell - Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Swollen eye with a rank smell about the nostrils and often goop on back from wiping eye- Coryza. Both are respiratory diseases/infection/virus. Tylan 50 injected is the best to help in a pinch. Do research on these diseases to keep it from spreading through your flock.

4. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Quote:+1. I just went through MG. What you're going through sure sounds like it. Mine was actually confirmed by the dept. of agriculture. Research the diseases (MG and Coryza). In my case the swollen eyes and snot-crusted beaks were accompanied by rattling in the chest and/or sneezing. The birds would get better, then worse, then better. They responded to erythromycin, but not to tetracycline. I hope yours just has a mild virus, but prepare yourself for the worst just in case.

One thing I did notice near the end was that a few of them developed soapy looking bubbles in their eyes. Turns out that's a pretty common symptom in the MG right before their eyes swell shut.

Good luck. Keep us posted. What state do you live in? The GA dept. of Agriculture was really helpful to me.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Swollen eye with out a rank smell - Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Swollen eye with a rank smell about the nostrils and often goop on back from wiping eye- Coryza. Both are respiratory diseases/infection/virus. Tylan 50 injected is the best to help in a pinch. Do research on these diseases to keep it from spreading through your flock

Hummmmm this sounds familiar........ he he, I posted it on another thread. Yes defiantly research it and Tylan 50 injections helps it a lot, but their are some new stuff if you have a lot of birds.

6. Oegipus

Oegipus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks all. Yeah, the stuff's not working. I'll try erithro and the injenction...
    Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by