Please read

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MavisMama, Aug 8, 2014.

1. MavisMama

MavisMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Sturgeon Bay, WI
    I lost my Sultan cockerel yesterday; 2 days ago I noticed bloody mucousy stools & yesterday my little guy was "down" - I offered him water, which he drank, but he didn't rally, so I took him to the vet & he had a temp of 104, fecal float (-). He was injected with banamine & a couple of antibiotics, when I got home & took him out of the car he convulsed & died in my arms. I feel so bad.

Now I'm really concerned about my others - I have been adding Corid to the drinking water (10cc/gal. new daily) - I found 2 mucousy stools today, my others are more docile than normal but are up, eating (but not as enthusiastically) & drinking. It's also interesting that my others are hanging around me more today - I held their brother yesterday while he was sick & they were very concerned then - now it seems they're looking to me for "where'd he go?" & being more clucky-vocal. I love how we're bonding, but very worried that I'll lose them, too.

Okay - I know these are chickens and they're not supposed to be smart, but these Sultans seem to be different.

I'm looking for help here - it's my responsibility to provide a healthy environment. I pick out the coop & pen daily, fresh water daily, feed (packaged chicken feed to include calf manna supplement) fresh morning & afternoon. I bed with packaged pine shavings . I read that coccidiosis can manifest in dirt - I draped the outdoor pen with a plastic tarp, covered with pine shavings & "play sand" from Ace Hardware. Also include packaged "grit" with their environment - I scatter it around in their pen.

Also, the chickens have outside time daily - they're not cooped up all day long. Mavis runs around more, takes her dirt baths, eats bugs.. the newbies are more into discovering but not as aggressively so.

I am open to all suggestions and criticism - I want to get this chicken thing right.

Thanks

Mavis Mom, Sturgeon Bay, WI
    PS - Mavis is fine. She is a scrappy little gal & not looking ill, still producing daily eggs, although she, too, hangs around me more to see what's wrong.

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Mavis: I am so sorry to hear about your loss!! It definitely sounds like Cocci. Cocci likes warm moist environments to "grow" It sounds like you are doing a great job caring for your flock. The most important thing is to prevent moisture in the bedding. I would recommend continuing treatment with the rest of them. Good luck!

3. MavisMama

MavisMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Sturgeon Bay, WI
    Hi - not sure whether I replied in the midst of the crisis, but wanted to be sure to thank you. Everything seems to be under control now, thank God. We've had some long rains , which makes it hard to keep things dry but including the tarp, shavings, sand & grit has helped a lot. The garlic & Corid have appeared to do the trick with no more mucousy stools & happy, relaxed chickens.
    Again, thanks for caring & for helping. This web site has literally been a life saver. Wish I would've known this stuff in time to save little Frosting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by