Please reassure me they are going to be ok in the coop......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by juliemom25, May 11, 2009.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    We move our 7 week old chicks out to the coop about an hour ago. We have secured it the best we can from predators. I am not so worried about that (although I will still be happier we I see them safe in the morning), but I worry they will get too cold. They have plenty of fresh and dry bedding and the coop is very weather proof, although not insulated. Here's how our weather looks over the next few days:

http://www.whiotv.com/5dayforecast/index.html

A low of 42 seems too cold to me. Should we take a heater out there? We have no electric in the coop, but we could drag an electrical cord out there. What do you think?

Julie

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I really won't matter what anyone says. I know, we moved ours out a week ago and the first couple of nights I was out at 2am peeking in on them. Everyone will tell you they will be ok. But you will probably check on them just to make sure.

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We do have a heat lamp out for mine though.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Ditto... but if your chicks are just about fully feathered, they'll be just fine. If you can give them a smaller box to huddle together in, they will use it if they need it.
    I needed more room yesterday, so I moved my 5.5 week old Millies out to the growout pen along with several slightly older silkies and a couple of 4 week old turkeys. They don't have access to the coop yet, but I have a small structure (like a doghouse) that is blocked on all sides with a small entrance, and a thick coat of straw (NO heat). I don't know if they used it, but they were all fine this morning and we dipped below freezing for about 3 hours in the early morning hours. [​IMG] Put them out, and just before bed check on them... if they're huddling, you might want to add a little heat, or box them in. If not, I'd be tempted to just let them do their thing! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. ClairedeLune

ClairedeLune Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I just put my 3.5/4 week chicks into our coop w/ a 250 watt red light and their brooder for the first time 5 minutes ago. Our trio are fully feathered except for their heads, so nerve-racking! My little babies, out there... the forecast says the low'll be 50, and partly cloudy-everyone think my little ones will be all right???

6. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    My 8 week babies are moving tomorrow. I keep putting it off--BUT, Its time. They will have a big coop made with kennel panels and a secure yard. But, its still my babies and 2 months of work... I know them..I know I'll be loosing sleep too.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    It is supposed to be in the mid 40s tonight and I have my 8 older chicks out in the tractor with no heat... 2 that are almost 9 week old, 2 that will be 8 weeks old tomorrow, and 4 that are 5 weeks old. [​IMG] that everyone will be warm enough!

8. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    My 8 weeks old are in their coop and have been for a couple of weeks. However, I have a heat lamp out there for them at nighttime. Their coop is large and not well insulated, so I was concerned about them getting cold. I started to remove their heat lamp today, but saw the low was to be 48 degrees here... decided to leave it for a couple more days. Plus we have rain in the forecast (again!) for the next couple of days. On really cool/wet days, I leave their lamp on during the day also.

I might also add, I do not have electricity in my coop, but bought a 120 yd. extension cord just for this purpose. I don't want to risk losing any of my chicks. I'd rather be overly-cautious.

9. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I have 14 chicks and at 8 weeks I put them out in with the 3 BIG girls. Yes being new I also worried about them. I did not put a lamp in and we had some freezing weather. Everybody is fine. for the first couple of nights I went out and "tucked them in" making sure that they were all roosted and looking OK.
    Trust me (aint that scary) yer chicks should all be fine.

Unlike pigs who will squeal on ya everytime, If ya sneak out to check on yer chickens barely a peep will be said. [​IMG]

10. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    They'll be fine cuddled up and sleeping together stay warm. You on the other hand will have a few sleepless nights. Been there myself. Have fun with them, they are very entertaining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by