Please Recommend a Incubator/HATCHER

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvanimals2, Nov 29, 2010.

1. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi, I have gotten the hatching fever and have brought my incubator's out of storage and have plans on joining the New Year's Hatch. When I bought my incubator's I knew nothing about Brinsea. Never heard of them. I did a hatch not too long ago for a friend and I did not care for the chicks hatching in my TX incubator. The headroom was at a minimum. Way too crowded. I had a Hovabator along time ago and sold it. Thought about buying another just for a hatcher but as I read somewhere and I agree that it just does not make sense to go from a TX to a foam. Just curious what others do in this situation. Anyone know how the Brinsea Hatcher functions? Is there enough room? I am thinking long and hard about buying one. Would like to take advantage of the sale. Or if there is a large enough incubator that can be used for both. TIA

Nancy

2. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    What is a TX incubator? Turn-x? That's a very good one.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I hatch in my Brinsea Eco 20. Bought it just for hatching, and I love it. Doesnt hold a whole lot of eggs, maybe 20. I do sneak chicks out as they hatch, 3-4 at a time, and it doesnt seem to affect the hatch at all. And so much easier to clean than my Hova, which I use just for incubating. Love the Eco.

4. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:Yes! Sorry, I was being LAZY. It is the Turn X Model TX7.

Nancy

5. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:I have never seen the Brinsea at all. It looks just as tight as the Turn X. I was thinking about buying the Brinsea Hatcher but I just realized it only holds 36 eggs. I was so hesitant to open the incubator to get the chicks out because I did not want to shrink wrap the rest. It was a mess. They were running around the incubator, the thermometer fell and they were sleeping and rolling the eggs that were not hatched yet. It is why I am compelled to look for another way. Thanks for the input.

Nancy

6. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Quote:If you think it looks as tight as the TurnX, you must be looking at the Brinsea Mini. That is shaped quite like the TurnX and doesn't have a ton of room. The Eco is bigger and should have plenty of room to hatch out the typical dozen-plus eggs from your TurnX. You don't WANT a lot of extra room, because that's what kills the humidity. When the incubator has to fill a giant space with moist air it takes hours and meanwhile the eggs/membranes are drying out. The reason the Ecos have a reputation for allowing you to remove chicks as they dry is that it can fill up with moist air again fast because there's not the huge box of nothingness that the styrofoam ones have.

7. luvanimals2

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:If you think it looks as tight as the TurnX, you must be looking at the Brinsea Mini. That is shaped quite like the TurnX and doesn't have a ton of room. The Eco is bigger and should have plenty of room to hatch out the typical dozen-plus eggs from your TurnX. You don't WANT a lot of extra room, because that's what kills the humidity. When the incubator has to fill a giant space with moist air it takes hours and meanwhile the eggs/membranes are drying out. The reason the Ecos have a reputation for allowing you to remove chicks as they dry is that it can fill up with moist air again fast because there's not the huge box of nothingness that the styrofoam ones have.

No, I was actually looking at the Eco and thinking it was tight. I never even thought about the MINI since that holds only 7? The Turn X holds 18 so I would have to buy 1 Eco for every Turn X I own. It would not make a whole lot of sense in my mind. The Brinsea hatcher holds 36. I guess you can't have everything because the hatchers viewing area looks small. I will ponder it and decide so that I can use it for my next batch of eggs. Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it.

Nancy

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by