Please recommend a reputable breeder of bantam cochins

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Godiva, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I am looking for some show potential hatching eggs. I just had a sad experience with a really nice roo that was sick. I think I want to stick to hatching eggs, that way I have more control over what comes into my flock esp with regards disease. Do you know of someone who has really good quality birds and who sells hatching eggs? I would prefer someone relatively near SC so as to avoid the worst of the shipping stress, but really, anyone really good I am interested in. I am learning in leaps and bounds and sometimes it is the hard way

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I will have "show potential" blue and black mottleds as well as columbian eggs in the spring. My columbians cleaned house at the country fair though the competition was far from stiff [​IMG] My friend jokes with me and called them "ringers"

I got my birds from Tom Roebuck and Jamie Matts which are two of the best breeders in the country.

I know Oldtimegator has beautiful blacks and she is located in FL. There are a few more on here pretty close to you and Im sure they will chime in.

click on "my page" to see my birds.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    BantyMan here on BYC is in Blue Ridge, GA. He has some real nice birds and is a nice fellow as well.

4. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Thank you so much for the leads, I know there are some lovely birds out there - just want a few of my own [​IMG] Will be in touch [​IMG]

5. daygrower

daygrower Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Oldtimegator has sq blacks and is very helpful and good to deal with

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Tom Roebuck has great cochins. Not sure if he sells but worth looking into.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Thanks for the mention, everyone. I really appreciate it!!

Godiva...check my website for photos. My black girls are laying about 3 -4 eggs per day right now. I should be able to hook you up with 6-12 if you have any interest.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Tom's an excellent source if he has what you need. Here's a link to some other breeders of quality Cochins.

http://www.cochinsrule.com/

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Tom's an excellent source if he has what you need. Here's a link to some other breeders of quality Cochins.

http://www.cochinsrule.com/

Tom does sell birds...usually all are over 5 months. In fact, I put in a request for a pair of whites and a pair of columbians back in the summer and will pick them up from him at the January show here. It's my understanding that he pretty much only sells pairs and he doesn't have a lot of them to sell. You just need to email him and see if he has any of what you are looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by