PLEASE REPLY ASAP AND HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by akiye, Mar 25, 2015.

1. akiye

akiye New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Hi everyone,

First off, I would like to say that I found this baby chick in a box and it had been stepped on by other baby chicks. It is still breathing and beeping once a while. I noticed that it had some weird nasty stuff on its butt and I searched on here and they said most likely it's pasty butt. So my cousin and I cleaned it. The baby's eyes are closed and it won't stand up. It's still breathing and making noises. Its my first time taking care of a baby chick, I tried to dip its beak in water and it got a little bit but now it's just resting.. It won't open it's eyes and I'm really worried and scared. I hope it'll pull through. What else can I do for it? I don't have a brooder or a temperature lamp. I have it in a shoe box with a really soft warm blanket and thats it. Please help me save the baby!

2. akiye

akiye New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    It looks like this and it won't make any beeping anymore [​IMG] [​IMG]
    but its still breathing......

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The chick won't survive unless you get it under a heat lamp, with a thermometer on the floor reading between 90-95 degrees F. The lamp should 18 inches above the chick, and red heat lamps work best at first. Where did you get the chick, from a feed store or from a friend? The chick may need electrolytes given to it, so did it's beak as often as you can, and SaveAChick is a good brand to use that can be added to the water.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    This may sound crazy...but if you do not have a heat lamp you can use your oven in the home...you will need a thermometer to ensure that the temperature is OK....I did this once for one of mine and it survived...I called it Samsung...after the name of my oven

5. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I've dealt with something like this before, unfortunately with bad results. I agree, If you can, try and get your chick to drink some electrolytes. Also, give your other chicks electrolytes in addition to their normal waterer. (You can probably buy Sav-a-chick packets (electrolytes) at your nearest feed store/ tractor supply). Definitely get your chick under a heat lamp! As for the pasty butt, you should GENTLY soak her vent in warm water to loosen up the poop so you can remove it. There are lots of great videos online showing you exactly how to do it

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Do you have a heating pad and a desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb in it? That would buy you some time until you can get a better setup.

7. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I know exactly how you feel right now, I had this happen to two of my first chicks within a week of their arrival. I was so heart broken.

If your chick doesn't make it, don't beat yourself up about it. This part of chicken keeping is the bad stuff- it feels awful! If this is your first time with chicks, don't be discouraged. It gets better, believe me!

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    [​IMG]
    If al else fails...at least consider using an oven...here is Samsung...

I do so hope your chick survives...

9. akiye

akiye New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Thank you so much to all of you that have replied to my post! It meant a lot to me, unfortunately the chick did not make it. I really tried my best to save and help it has much as I can. I even drove back to the feed store so he can put it under the heat lamp. On our way there, the chick passed away. [​IMG] Another one also unfortunately died when I got home and checked.... I was devasted. A family member of mine bought 20 so now we have 18 left. I did buy them a heat lamp and I built a nice warm home for them. [​IMG] So hopefully, these baby chicks will be warm and healthy.

Thank you again for replying to my post!

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by