1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE RESPOND IMPORTANT TO ME I FEEL SO SAD AND GUILTY***************

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gervais22, May 29, 2008.

1. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    after you read this (which i hope you) please look at my other post with the progression
    of the hatch)

please respond i NEED your views, I'm so lonely.

I feel morally responsible, everything was going so well, the duck has gotten out of his shell and only the bottom was left, he had been pecking away for 17 hours in total, I was there all of them, I though he made it, I just left him and though he was safe, I then fell asleep at the computer (on BYC), and woke up two hours later panicking, he was just laying there motionless in the bottom part of the shell, he probably tried to get out but just didn't have the energy left, I feel so gutted and very guilty, i have this sick feeling in my stomach when ever i think about him and how different it could have been if i had just stayed with him. I should have known that he would be tired.

Sending out a word of warning, if your chick/duck is at this stage, just to be safe give him a hand, especially if you only have a small hatch (like me, only 2 out of 12), every one counts, I think this would give a better chance of surviving for the crucial first few hours of his life with that little more energy. I was also worried that if i helped him he would bleed to death but this wasn't the case, the yolk was attached but dried out. so only do it if your chicks been hatching for at least 12 hours or more.

The chick was the opposite, he pipped later than the duck but was soon loosing energy and wasn't ready, my father said that we should help him out, that was a hard decision, he was breathing very slowly at uneven rates, but I had a feeling that the yolk or blood hadn't been sucked into him. We tried any way because he would have certainly dies within the next hours, he wad peeping but no sound was coming from his bill, thats how much energy he didn't have.

We peeled a small par of the shell but not the shell membrane, and left him with a damp cloth over the membrane, unfortunately i returned after and he had passed away peacefully in his sleep in the warmth of the incubator (about 5 hours after the duck).

after all those hours bonding with the duck i feel so helpless and sorry for him, instead of chucking him in the bin i cremated him and scattered his ashes in the pond, writing this now has turned me into tears.

On a positive note, I enjoyed every second with 'Duck' and will never forget the experience my first ever hatch has brought me even if ti was just for a couple hours, I still remember his first breath, his first peep and the first time he looked at me in the eye, (tears down my face like a waterfall now).

A few months ago my 8 year old neighbor died from a long illness, she wasn't aware of it and lived happy, she suddenly died, she loved animals and would have enjoyed the chick and duck soooo much, I hope that she's up there looking after them for me right now.

R.I.P The Chick & The Duck

video of his last good moment's i will remember on this wonderful planet:

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    So sorry to hear of your loss. You are not alone and also not the only one here who has experienced this same kind of loss. It must be difficult. Hopefully when you are feeling up to another try you will have more success and happiness to replace the sorrow. Sometimes, even in helping we cannot guarantee their survival. I'm sure that in being a member here, you will gather the information and encouragement to give it another go! [​IMG]

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Sorry for your loss, don't be too hard on yourself. It is a very tough decision whether to help them out or not. If you do help, things can go wrong and cause damage too. It just wasn't meant to be. I know how you feel, just the other day I had a hen sitting on eggs. I went and checked and one egg was pipping, I checked again later and it had a hole chipped out about the size of a nickle but was not zipping around the egg yet. Well it was night time so I left it alone peeping with it's mother. The next morning I went out to see the new baby, and it was still in the egg, dead. It had not made any progress since I had checked on it the night before. I felt so bad for the little chick. Things happen, nature is not always nice. Hang in there, and again, don't be too hard on your self. Best wishes. [​IMG]

4. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Love my Critters! :

Sorry for your loss, don't be too hard on yourself. It is a very tough decision whether to help them out or not. If you do help, things can go wrong and cause damage too. It just wasn't meant to be. I know how you feel, just the other day I had a hen sitting on eggs. I went and checked and one egg was pipping, I checked again later and it had a hole chipped out about the size of a nickle but was not zipping around the egg yet. Well it was night time so I left it alone peeping with it's mother. The next morning I went out to see the new baby, and it was still in the egg, dead. It had not made any progress since I had checked on it the night before. I felt so bad for the little chick. Things happen, nature is not always nice. Hang in there, and again, don't be too hard on your self. Best wishes. [​IMG]

hey yeah i'm trying to be positive, i think because it's my first hatch and because they were the only two fertile from the start. I 'bonded', I'm planning to start again this weekend, I;m trying not to spend too much time with the,(there eggs lol), I'm moved the incubator to a location where nobody goes and i only see them when they need turing, next to my bed lol, in the corner of my room in a big open cabinet thing, (perfect place i think, instead of in the shower lol)​

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Don't beat yourself up about it....If he was too weak to kick his way out of the bottom of the shell he was probably too weak to survive. That's the reason I try very hard....and it's not always easy...to not help with a hatch. The few I helped in the past usually ended up dying in the first week. I know it's the pits tho when you lose them.

6. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    [​IMG] My thoughts are with you.

7. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Good luck on your next batch! It is very exciting! I will send "good hatching vibes" your way.[​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I am so sorry for your loss...I'm hatching right now and I know how you feel...you just don't want to leave that incubator but this wasn't your fault at all. It just wasn't meant to be. :aww Let us know when you try again.

9. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    I'm so sorry, we have all been there.[​IMG]

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am so sorry for your loss but is not your fault. If it couldn't get out of the bottom of it's shell it must have had some other health problem. Do not be discouraged. Good luck with your next hatch. What are you getting this time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by