1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please respond! Rooster with bleeding around spurs, missing scales

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TNchickies, Dec 31, 2013.

1. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    We have just come home from vacation; my neighbor has been watching my chickens for me. This morning the rooster has open wounds on upper feet/lower leg area. Starts at the bottom toe and moves to just above the spurs on both feet (only on the backside). It looks as though all the scales/skin has been removed from this area. Do you think it could have been an animal attack of some sort? Any other ideas? He is limping but seems okay otherwise. Treatment recommendations would be appreciated, as well.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I need some pick's please so I can give better advice [​IMG]

Have you taken a clean cloth wet of course and put a little peroxide on the cloth and wipe the shanks very softly as not to do more damage and to clean him up before photo op and maybe a photo before you clean him [​IMG]

Have you picked out a spot for him to rest wile he heals where it is quiet [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Pics would help. Could he have been pecked from behind? Could he have scaly leg mites?

Just clean him up with soap and water and apply any antiseptic or antibiotic cream or ointment, whatever you keep around for yourself is probably fine. Never use anything topical that has a "caine" drug such as cetacaine or benzocaine. It might be a good idea to separate him for a few days til the wounds are healed so the others won't attack the wounds. BluKote (gentian violet) is handy to have as it masks minor wounds and helps prevent others pecking them.

4. TNchickies

Oct 7, 2013
    We have already cleaned him up with some warm water, and some Hydrogen Peroxide. We also applied some antibiotic ointment. I had him sleep in an area separate from the hens. I got some advice from a Veterinarian assistant, and she told me it sounded like bumble foot, and even if it wasn't, what i was doing was fine, and that i should continue warm water cleanings and antibiotic ointment. This morning, he was happy and wasn't limping anymore, and there was a scab over the wound. It looked clean, so i let him out, and he has been happy. I am going out right now to clean him up again. Any advice on whether i should keep him separate from the hens? I am going to keep him in a different non-wire floored cage at nights so he can heal, and iv'e put a towel over his roost.

Thanks for the advice. [​IMG]

5. gander007

Sound's like you are doing the correct thing for him and now it is all just time

gander007

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. TNchickies

Oct 7, 2013
    He seems to be doing better, however, he has gotten black-ish scabs that have stayed in this condition for a week or two now. My poor baby:( I am trying to get electricity and water to the coop, and am almost done, so hopefully being able to run a good heater and stuff will help. The little heater i'm using running from the house just isn't cutting it. [​IMG]

7. TNchickies

Oct 7, 2013
    Oh my goodness! I went outside to the coop this past saturday, and my rooster was bleeding heavily from his back toe to right above his spurs. I cleaned him up, and he seemed to be doing okay, but then the next day (sunday), he was very lethargic, and just laid around. This morning he came out of the run and laid down and stayed there for TWO HOURS. He isn't eating very much, but he drinks a lot. He is having watery diarrhea, and he has dried blood in both of his nostrils. He seems to be in shock. There is blood in the run, and i am thinking: predator. He has thoroughly deep gashes and puncture wounds from his back toe to right above his spurs just on the backside, and i'm thinking that maybe he got into a fight with a predator. The only thing is that the fight was in the run, which must mean it happened during the day. What sort of predator would be out in the middle of the day, could jump the fence, and could get beaten up by a rooster and leave before i noticed??? And more importantly, what is this predator, that would chew up my roo's legs and leave? I'm guessing that the rooster would have defended with his spurs, therefore jumping after it with his legs up???? any help is greatly wanted. I would hate to loose him. Thanks. [​IMG]

8. gander007

If it was a predator it would have had to be very small
    sounds like you have some other problems like loose
    wire somewhere in the run or coop ,,,, but then again
    rats would leave a sine they were there ...........

Do you have photos of the wounded areas ?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by