Please say I got leghorns

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lac1975, Jun 8, 2011.

1. lac1975

lac1975 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    If there is somebody that can help me id these babies, I would apprciate it.

I bought 6 of these little chicks, thinking they were leghorns. But I'm not real sure. They're not much bigger than the little black & white chicks I got at the same time. They don't really eat anymore than my other chicks either. I bought them May 13th, and I think they were about a wk old. So that would put them about 4 wks now. I was thinking I got leghorns, but am wondering some if I may have gotten the Cornish meat birds.

The first 2 are of the same one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are 2 more together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    They appear to be leghorns. [​IMG] Can you post a pic of them compared to a chick of the same age?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I think you got some Cornish x's. They are too wide in the body and stance for Leghorns, and the comb development is saying fast growers to me.

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I'm thinking Leghorns but I'm not positive a picture with another know breed would help , but do you know both are boys?

5. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    leghorn roosters

6. lac1975

lac1975 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Corsicana, TX
    The ones I bought at the same time were these little black & white chicks, from the breeds I have looked up they look like they are possibly Exchequer leghorns. I could be wrong on that. Also the ages may vary some within the group or they may have mixed up the meat birds with the layers. The combs haven't grown quite as much on these two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank y'all for the help!!

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    None of my Leghorns ever looked that unkempt. I'm thinking Cornish Cross.

8. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    leghorns because cornish cross don't develop combs at an early stage and will not be able to stand on that fencing

9. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    Quote:I'm far from an expert, but I agree with you. My 4.5 week old Leghorn hen is a thin and sleek little thing compared to those body builders. Just a tiny hint of a comb, and she doesn't have those massive dinosaur legs either.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They look like leghorns to me. If they were around a week old on May 13th, that makes them about 4-5wks now. Cornish cross would be much, much bigger than your other birds by that age. By 4 weeks old, my cornish are 3-4lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by