1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please say it will be soon.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by murdeb, Nov 1, 2011.

1. murdeb

murdeb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    I have 2 BO's and I'm not sure how old they are. They are starting to sprout black tipped feathers on their rear end. They have been roosting at night in their coop but for the past couple nights, they have been getting in their nesting boxes. Could this be a sign they are getting ready to lay? <fingers crossed>[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! When you reach out to them, do they squat? That is a definite sign that they will start laying soon. I didn't know that Buff Orps got black tipped feathers on their tails. I've had a few, and I know they take a bit longer than some breeds to start laying. Depending on the area you live in, if the daylight hours are getting shorter, that affects egglaying, and so they might not lay as much if it gets dark early.....

Oh the waiting! LOL seems like forever! haha

3. murdeb

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    tick.....tock.......tick.....tock......... LOL! I am waiting patiently <tapping foot>!!!!!

4. murdeb

May 17, 2011
    Sebastian, FL
    I will try to pick them up tomorrow and see if they "squat". Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by