Please say it's not...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ajc123, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ajc123

ajc123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Please say (s)he's not a rooster... [​IMG] It's about a month old. Blue Andalusian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Blue Andalusian of the same age:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Confucious Say: Hen the comb is toooo pink for roo.Anyone else can chime in.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I would say that is backward. Roo, comb is too pink for a hen.

4. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    I refuse to answer that question, on the grounds that it may incROOminate me!

5. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I don't know the Andalusians. But, many Mediterranian breeds have very large combs, even in the hens (the classic flopped Leghorn comb, eg.) This can mean that the pullets develop more of a comb earlier than a smaller combed breed would.

I'd give the birds more time. In a month or so you should see saddle feathers coming in if they are roosters.

6. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Sorry....looks like a roo roo!

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree, andalusians tend to have bigger combs, so females do grow their combs a bit faster than other breeds. I would give it more time too. I'm kind of split. I don't see much in wattles coming in yet, so there is hope for a girl.

8. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    LOL Im' still itching to sew it a dress and matching hat.Roo's usualy have redder comb's and wattle's at a month old I have about 30 chick's now one month and can easily pick the roo's.The hen's are low and pink.But I only have OEGB right now but have raised a LOT of breed's in Past.No Andalusian's.Ihave 2 7 month old OEGB's that has slightly red but flopped to side comb's But the Roo's they are COCKADOODLE Roo's.Let us know I'll stitch the guy up a nice vest and tie if it's a roo!

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    month old thats a roo. my andy comb didn't get that big til she was 3 months.

10. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Well, my Buttercups are another Meditteranian breed and just looking at the 1 month old tail , looks like a Roo. I can tell my Roos at hatching, I can see their combs then, then they dry off and I don't really see the beginnings of a comb for another week. The hens will just begin to show a crown a 4 weeks. I have 5 week olds now so the memory is fresh. Sorry. You have several Roo's if I'm right and the Andalusions follow the same growth pattern as other Meditteranians.

I went to feathersite, they have a picture of a 4 week old white Andalusian. You might want to take a look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by