please say she's an amerucana….. Black and gold?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andiexb, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Andiexb

Andiexb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I have been researching the heck out of amerucanas… mainly cause i am wondering why she isn't laying yet (22 weeks, I know I'm impatient). I discovered that she is not a standard color of amerucana, but i have read that people are trying to get this coloration accepted.. any one have any info or thoughts on the matter? she obviously has a pea comb, no wattles, bluish feet, and the bottom of her feet are white. Like i said she hasn't laid yet so i have yet to see the color of her eggs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's an Easter Egger, not a pure Ameraucana, sorry. EEs are commonly sold as Ameraucanas, and it's a very common misconception.

From the nice pea comb, she should give you either blue or green eggs. I know it's hard to be patient, but from her comb in that pic she doesn't look ready to lay, her comb needs to redden up more.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

She is absolutely gorgeous!

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    She is an Easter Egger. I've seen several with the same coloration. I think they may have come from McMurray.

5. Andiexb

Dec 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Gahh! Well thanks.. I guess that's ok. I really just want to get some cool colored eggs. I don't need the title of Amerucana haha

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, I just want pretty eggs. Not showing or anything, just want pretty, colorful birds and eggs. Plus, love the puffy cheeks!

7. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    I recently bought what was advertised as Araracuana and it is brown (chick). Never had one before now. I thought EE, Ameracauna, and Araracana were all pretty much the same. That is because I am fairly new to chickens and learning everyday! Regardless, you have a beautiful girl!

8. Andiexb

Dec 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I know that Amerucanas were bred from Araucanas cause they have some genetic flaws involved with incubation. and EEs i thought were just mixes of amerucanas and other breeds bred down the line to keep the fun egg colored gene. I just figured that my girl was pretty stereotypical Amerucana besides her color. But thanks, her name is Poof [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    I have two girls that are the same age with the same coloring. I got them from the local feed store who ordered them from Privett Hatchery. Are yours also from Privett's?

10. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    My two girls Muffles and Ruffles are the same age and are also not laying yet. So your girl isn't being lazy. I always figured they should start laying the first week of March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by