1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please say this is a normal part of development *Pic Included*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilDucky85, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    The first time I attempted to hatch 2 eggs I saw what I thought was a bloodring, and opened the egg. When I opened it I was horrified to find a heartbeat. I was left confused about blood rings because there was a circle of blood around the network of veins. When this happened it was still very early and the veins couldnt even be seen while candling. This time however most of my eggs have that circle with all the veins in the middle. Each egg has a heartbeat, and seems to be growing very well.

Is this an early sign of a blood ring, or is it just part of how the egg grows? If you look closely you can see the ring around the egg. I'm hoping this is normal! Please say it is because if not I'm doomed! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Please excuse the bad picture quality. I'm sure you understand how cell phone cameras can be at times. Its just faster to get it on here with my phone rather than camera!*

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    It looks normal to me, but I'm no expert so wait for them to get here and they can better assist you [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  4. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Thank you!!

I've been looking through different sites all night and it seems normal but I just wanted to make sure. I found that link to be very helpful earlier.

Forgive the pic quality, I took it quickly with my cell phone.

5. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    If you have a blood ring you usually will not have that many veins. The best thing to do is candle around the 6th or 7th day when you can see more movement. Candling to soon is confusing to me also, so I have learned to candle on day 1, which is when I check eggs for cracks, candle on day 6/7 to check for life, after that it is up to the egg, unless I smell a bad 1 in the incubator.

6. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Thank you, thats very helpful!! I was worried because I only saw heartbeats, and veins, but no movement. I see all these videos on youtube.com about bouncing little embryos but of course when I candle, I get nothing.

I do have one that Im almost positive is a blood ring but now Im too scared to crack it open. I dont want to repeat another egg slaughter so Im going to leave it in there for a few days. I just hope it doesnt explode! I so dont have time for a stinky egg explosion! Not to mention the bator is in my bedroom! [​IMG]

7. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    If you check around the 7th day, you will see 2 little circles moving around. If you do not see that, the egg is no good. Then get rid of it. If you are not 100% sure about what the blood ring looks like don't open the egg.

Here is the site I learned from, it could probably help you also.
    http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/index.html

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Dont get rid of an egg till after the 10 - 14th day unless they are weeping or stinking, you may have seen many posts recently where someone has tossed and egg or gone to do an eggtopsy and there was a live baby in it that they killed by opening the egg , when they thought that it was dead. If you dont know exactly what youre looking at and or are new give an egg the benifit of the doubt. And arnt you doing duck eggs? If they take longer to hatch I would assume that what you can see in a chicken egg at day 5 - 7 wouldnt nescarly be what you would see in a duck egg.

Good luck

9. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Gab, you are right, I never even realized it was duck eggs, those take 28 days to hatch. Hello, Lilducky - should have told me something uh. [​IMG]

Sorry, don't go by the 7th day, for duck eggs you have to wait about 10 days to tell. Hate to say, I hatched out 20 of them last year and 15 went in my freezer. I will be hatching more this year if they ever start laying.

10. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Uh, Hello Countrybum.....its a general question. I didnt ask what it should look like on Day 6 or 7. I asked if there should be a circle with veins in it. This can go for duck eggs, chicken eggs, or whatever eggs. I wasnt wondering about the specific timing of egg development, just if this was normal for any time period.

I know what a blood ring egg looks like but I was curious if these were on their way to going bad. They arent though, they're healthy as can be. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by