1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please seasoned chicken raisers, is this fowl pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peafowlmom, Dec 5, 2011.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    [​IMG]
    This is the best picture we could get tonight. I live on a creek/branch. We have mosquitos almost year round. Can someone confirm this is fowl pox or share what it is if not pox? Thanks as ALWAYS for the help ya'll give me!!! [​IMG]

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I don't think so.. could be pecking.. do you have frost? Search "Fowl Pox pictures" here on BYC and get a better look.. this does not look like pox to me. Might be a peck wound.. see if it rubs off in your fingers, if you rub it..

Doesn't really look like mites either.

Good luck.

3. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    x2 Doesn't look like pox to me.. That's a good thing [​IMG]

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I agree... Looks like she got into a scuffle with another chicken or fencing...

Goddess [​IMG]

5. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Possible frost! they were surprised with cold weather overnight. This was a few nights back. It dropped below freezing like 3 nights. They have the option of roosting in the covered part of the pen or going in a hen house to roost. Do you think that might be it? Should I make them roost inside?

It does not come off when you rub it.
    Thanks to everyone who has helped. I love you all!
    Happy Holidays

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It is pecking damage, not frostbite or pox. Pox has raised nodules under the lesions and frostbite is more widespread and dull black.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by