Please sex 8 week old chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jonesy21, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jonesy21

jonesy21 New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    Hi all,

Can somebody please sex the below. I have very little experience with sexing chickens, so im sure this will be one of the easiest sexing. Specially at 8 weeks old. So please excuse me.

Looks like chicken 1 is clearly a cockral, but mixed views from a few people of the blue chicken 2.

Thanks all very much in advanced.

Adam

Chicken 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    [​IMG] i'd say 2 is a roo, but it would help if we had pics of tail and feet. i think i saw pointy neck feathers on 2.... ?

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW!! Number one is a handsome devil! Most likely a roo, but a good photo of the hackle area might tip the scale the other way. Black & whites are so hard to photograph.

I'm thinking No. 2 may be a pullet, as I couldn't make up my mind about the neck feathers (hackle), but didn't see the pointy hackle feathers at the base of the tail. That hackle area looked kinds rounded, so I'll go with pullet.

4. jonesy21

jonesy21 New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    Thank you for your reply DirtCreature, really do appreciate it. The little devils are still out and about in utility room, so just took the below pics. Sorry they are on there sides for some reason!!

Chicken 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chicken 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you!

5. jonesy21

jonesy21 New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    Thank you Uniontown poultry for your time aswell! What do you think with the above pics? I have seen Chicken 1 flare up his neck hackle on many occasions, but never seen it on chicken 2, is that a sign? Sorry for my ignorance, I just don't know.

Thanks again.

6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    both look like roos to me

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    It looks like 2 young roosters there.

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    At 8 weeks... roos, definitely.

9. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you trying to break my neck????

10. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they are probably both roos. I'm not 100% on the second one, but my gut is saying roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by