Please Sex my Blue Swedish, cayuga, and Magpie ducks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BantyHugger, May 25, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I heard something on hear about being able to sex them just by looking at their bills. What are you guys looking at? All mine seem to have solid blue/gray bills. Do females have spotted bills? Also do female black swedes have green heads? (I think that one is going to be a boy.) I will try and post pics but they are kinda skiddish and the zoom on my camera isn't real great. [​IMG]

They are all a couple months old now. Pics are a couple posts down. Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Hmmmm....haven't heard that one.

How old are they??

With my male and female blue Swedish, they both have solid bills. I waited a few weeks and could tell for sure the gender with the voices. Sqeeky sounding boy and loud squalking girl when I picked them up. Of course now I have a curly boy feather at the base of the tail and he's chasing all the girls driving them crazy!! They are currently four months old.

Claudia

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  3. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Mine are about 1 1/2 months old. They have all their feathers, just no curly boy feathers yet. I was very curious when i heard about it on here too. I'll try and find the thread it was on.....

4. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Ok so i finally got pics of my group:
    [​IMG]

One is a magpie (he looks solid but he has a black spot under his wings i swear!) and the crested black one is a Cayuga i believe. The other 4 are swedes. I think The magpie and the dark silver are boys for sure. What do you guys think?

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I tried going by bill/feet colors - it didn't work for me.

Your best bet is to pick them up and whomever squawks the loudest most shrill is a girl - the boys aren't as loud or as clear sounding - more of a Donald Duck sound.

Once I did that it was easy to find my boy and three girls I was keeping out of the bunch I had.

meri

6. BantyHugger

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Bump* Guessers are welcome.

7. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Looks like all girls to me! Boys have greenish bills, girls have grey/blue bills. (Well at least that is true for the blues, not sure about the black or splash?)

8. SebastopolGeese

SebastopolGeese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    I read somewhere that male Swedish Blues tail feathers curl up and females are straight. I have a male and his tail feathers are curled up.

9. SebastopolGeese

SebastopolGeese Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    My Swedish Blue male has a curled up tail. If that is any indication I would say yours are all female............but I am no expert. I'm trying to find out if Cayuga's are sexed the same way?????

10. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yes, all ducks that originated from the mallard have this characteristic (spelling?).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by