Please Sex my Sasquatch....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunnyCalifornia, Jul 19, 2011.

1. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I posted pics of my "Blue Cochin" (mix, obviously it has a beard..LOL) about 2 months ago, and ya'll said it was a roo. I kept "him", because he was sweet, quiet, and didn't cause any trouble.

Now its two months later, my big fluffy "dude" is ENORMOUS, biggest of all the coop mates! He's 4 months old, but no wattles, no crowing, no mating or dancing, and was found today sitting in the hen nest.....

I'm totally confused, I know Cochins are slow to mature, but I am not sure if this one is going to lay and egg or wake me up at daybreak???

Do I have a transgender chicken? is he a really just a she ? [​IMG]

Again, 4 months old give or take a week or two

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    that looks to have saddle feathers of a roo

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My gosh, what are you feeding him? He looks like Roozilla. Have you weighed him??

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    He's got hackle and saddle feathers. Bearded birds usually have no wattles, some do end up having tiny ones, but basically on a bearded bird don't look for them.

5. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:LOL!!! [​IMG] I just might have to now!!! That's my 9 yr old daughter holding (or trying to hold) him/her(???) I feed him small puppies... you think that's the problem?? J/K.... [​IMG]

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:LOL!!! [​IMG] I just might have to now!!! That's my 9 yr old daughter holding (or trying to hold) him/her(???) I feed him small puppies... you think that's the problem?? J/K.... [​IMG]

[​IMG] that's awesome!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    pips&peeps :

He's got hackle and saddle feathers. Bearded birds usually have no wattles, some do end up having tiny ones, but basically on a bearded bird don't look for them.

Thank you Jean, that probably solves my mystery. I'm not accustomed to bearded birds, so this one really threw me! All my other roos are games.. and have big ole combs and wattles.​

8. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    OMG!!! What a gorgeous boy!!! Not to worry about him getting in the nest I have a big BR/BO mix that sets with the girls in a nest boxes in the mornings, and there is NO dought he is all boy lol, he too was a very late bloomer and he became a roo almost overnight.

9. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Looks like a roo to me as well.
    You have a beautiful daughter!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, he's all boy.