Please share any tips tricks to rasie humidity in LG incubator. Today is lockdown!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wjeffgriggs, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Today is lockdown day and I need to get the humidity up to 65% in my LG incubator. I have filled all the resivors, added a folded water saturated rag, and a regular size bowl with a sponge. It will not budge past 51%. I must be doing something wrong? In the house the humidity is 25-30%

2. rednana9

rednana9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Try putting some tape over the holes in the top

3. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    I thought during lockdown and hatch all the holes need to be open for oxygen?

4. Jed

Jed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Too much ventilation will not allow the humidity to build up inside the incubator.

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am having this problem as well. I can get mine up to 30% but with lots of water. I am having a harder time trying to maintain at night. I have a humidifier in the room which I am going to try. Maybe one would help you out.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

blocking the air holes is a good way to have chicks die from carbon dioxide buildup if there are too many chicks and the bator remains closed with no air exchange.. which is why it's recommended that the vent holes be OPEN during hatch
    if you only have a small amount of chicks hatching in a large bator you may be fine blocking the holes.. however I would never recommend it since chicks need air to breathe

to increase humidity you need to increase the surface area of the water.. if you've done that and your hygrometer is still reading low.. then chances are pretty good that the hygrometer needs to be calibrated...
    usually for a LG bator all you need to do is add a jar of water with a sponge sticking out of it to act as a wick and to increase the surface area ... if in doubt use two.. but I have never seen anyone need more than that to easily get the humidity up high enough for hatch

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

which is why the vent holes are small.. they allow enough air exchange to prevent carbon dioxide poisoning in chicks however they are small enough as to not interfere with humidity buildup

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sounds like whatever is reading your humidity is off. Do not plug up the holes. I have used probably 7 or 8 different hygrometers in my time, and not a one was accurate, anywhere from 5 to 20 points off. I eventually threw them all out, and I now use nothing. On day 18 I just fill the channels in the incubator, close the lid, wait 3 days and voila! chicks. Dont forget, once they start hatching the humidity will rise on its own from the wet chicks, so its very easy to overdo the humidity.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Calibrate your hygrometer with a salt test.

Fill a bottle cap with salt and add a few drops of water until a stiff paste consistency. Then place cap and hygrometer in a zip lock bag, wait four or more hours: it should read 70%; however much it's off is your calibration. The amount of moisture your adding is a lot so unless your in the dessert I'd say your hygrometer is off.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Actually, everything Ive read says the hygrometer should read 75% after calibrating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by