Please share candling techniques.....thanks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peeper7, May 8, 2009.

1. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Having a hard time candling dark eggs and turkey eggs. [​IMG]
    I've looked at every candling picture I can find.
    I'm using a 60 watt light in a home made candler. Never sure what I am seeing.

Should I use a stronger bulb? the 60 is pretty hot already.

Best days to candle?

Any and all hints would be greatly appreciated!
    The members on this site are awesome...

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I misread your title as Please share CANNING techniques and was happy thinking maybe I could help you. Then I saw the post was in the incubating and hatching eggs section and though, well, that's a mighty strange place to put it. [​IMG]

Then my brain started working. [​IMG]

Sorry, can't help with candling. If you need help with canning in the future, though, I'm game! [​IMG]

3. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I've been using a 100 watt bulb but it gets hot quickly - so you gotta be fast! I did go to Home Depot today and bought LED lightbulbs someone else posted about. There were three in a pack for $9.99 (with the rest of the flashlights), and are supposed to be very bright and won't get hot.

Dark room, bright light, gentle hands! Also, at the beginning of this forum are some "stickies" and one is about candeling. Check that out - it has a lot of good info. Good luck!

4. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]: [​IMG]

If Peeper7 doesn't need help with canning I might be able to use some help.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks all and keep it coming. Our local hardware store did not have other bulbs if you can imagine....so gotta get to Lowe's etc.

Myveryfirstever eggs are going into hatch mode tonight. I wanted to candle again -- big fear of rotten eggs. I am thinking at this point that the chicks, if living, should be pretty big and if I see absolutely nothing I can assume a clear.

Would I smell a badd egg before it popped?

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It's possible to smell them but you can sure see them when you candle. I use a small mag lite flashlight very similiar to the ones garden gal is talking about. It works great on any size egg. The biggest trick to candling is a very dark place to do it especially on dark brown eggs.

7. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I bought a keychain light from the little rack of junk by the checkstand at Walmart, has an led bulb, about the diameter of a pencil, works good $2.50 I can see into most eggs with it.

I had a really thick shelled green egg that frusterated me so I went to Home Depot and bout a tactical flashlight (I think Mahroni was the one who told me about these). If I shine it through the airsac at an angle I can see what in even the really thick shells. It was about $20 tho. the little cheapy from walmart lets me see in the darker eggs as long as the shells aren't too thick.

Michelle

8. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I just tried my new LED flash lights from Home Depot... NOT!!! At least not for me anyway! I went immediately back to my 100 watt bulb in a clamp light covered with cardboard and with a hole cut in the center of the board. I'll keep trying other ideas because the bulb does get hot quickly and I have to hold the egg up for about 2 seconds, remove it for a few, etc... but at least I can SEE something!! LOL! The eggs are light brown, not white, so maybe the LED doesn't like brown eggs?

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Quote:I'd be happy to help with anything I can. Already learned a lot from this site and would love to repay that in some way. Just let me know, will help if it's something I've canned before or have in my books.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Someone here on BYC once suggested an old slide projector for candling- and it works GREAT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by