Please share info on Wyandottes please!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bantimna, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Hi [​IMG]

I'm really intersted in em'.

Please share, experinces, pics and anything else I should know.

Thanks,
    Sibone

2. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    There is a wyandotte thread already on here, just look back a few pages and you will see it. I think its up to about 27 pages, so plenty to read if you choose.
    As for anything else about them, what do you want to know specifically?

3. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Gold Laced Wyandotte. Love them both to death. They are great egg layers, very gentle, and the GL is really smart. The SL talks to herself a lot and is fun to listen to. I highly recommend them. Not flighty or mean at all.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have a blue laced red wyandotte. She's very sweet and a good layer. I am actually trying to find someone with some to buy more. But it seems everyone wants an arm and a leg for them. AND she weighs about 12 lbs! [​IMG] No joke.

5. dlolato

dlolato Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    Pryor
    Great chicken......can't say anything negative! Good layer, large eggs and very quiet and social birds that also get along well with other breeds as well as humans.

GOOD CHOICE!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I had a bad experience with the Silver Laced Wyandottes that I got 2 years ago. They were noisey, poor producers of eggs and quite unfriendly to me and the other birds. They often picked on other birds that were lower than them in the pecking order causing feather loss and trauma. They were extremely flighty, to the point of where they would not come near you.

I rehomed these birds a couple of months ago and my flock is now doing quite well, happiness and harmony all around.

Just thought you should get an opinion from the other end of the spectrum.

8. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Quote:Would they by any chance have been hatchery birds?

9. megcpat

megcpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Montana
    Yeah, Urbanfarmer, where did you get your birds so that we can all be sure NOT to go there! I'm looking to buy silver laced wyandottes and am hoping to find some that are being raised more for egg laying ability and heartiness than for the show ring..... any one out there have a recommendation?

10. Frenchy chick

Frenchy chick Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    I hatched mine...One hen and 2 roosters Silver wyandottes. The roosters were super sweet. The hen is too. She is a good layer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by