please show pics of yall footbath for leg scale mites???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    read on here recently, someone was making a" forced" thru foot bath. oil based.... so chickens had to walk thru to get out...... the coop door... I believe
    To help with leg scale mites.....
    Since I have never picked up my adult 4 chickens and one Roo.....only have chickens since March, here a newbie still owner>>.
    Thanks yall

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That doesn't sound very safe. What if the chickens stop the drink the oil in the foot bath? Besides diarrhea, messy feathers, there could even be aspiration of oil with lipid pneumonia. Sounds like a very bad idea to me.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree, not the best way to treat mites. Even if they don't decide to take a drink, and they probably will, they'll likely just try to jump or fly over it. If chickens have never been handled then the easiest way to catch and treat them is to get them off the roost at night, do whatever needs to be done and put them back on the roost.

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
  5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I just took a margarine tub poured vegetable oil in it grabbed them off the roost and dunked both legs in and then set them back on the roost. It helps smother any mites that may have migrated onto the roost. Now this was on a large scale with nearly 80 chickens and I needed fast and effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by