Please Solve The Mystery Of This Guy's Breed For Me

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by birdlover, Oct 6, 2009.

1. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Could someone please tell me if this guy is an OEGB or a white faced Spanish? Don't think it's a rosecomb because it doesn't have a rosecomb! LOL He came from McMurrays Hatchery the week before Easter so he's about 5 1/2 months old. Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have a hen that I bought from ebay that was supposed to be a blue rosecomb, it is black with a single comb. Looks just like yours only it is a bantam.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  4. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Becky - "Sir Gallahad" is a bantam, too! Rosecomb, my foot!

I know Spanish have white faces but not until after the first year, or so I thought I'd read. Someone told me that OEGB's are supposed to have red earlobes but that poorer quality ones can have white ones. I'll post a couple more pictures in a minute.

5. hippiechicks

hippiechicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    OHIO Go Bucks!!
    It could be Black Dutch Bantam COMB, FACE AND WATTLES: Bright Red
    BEAK: Dark bluish horn
    EYES: Brown
    EAR LOBES: Pure White
    SHANKS and TOES: Dark slaty blue

BLACK PLUMAGE

Color of Male and Female

The quill and surface of every feather in all sections of the plumage, over the entire body, pure black. The head, hackle, back, saddle, sickles and wing bows of the male should have a rich beetle green sheen. The female should also show some brilliance of feather in the head, hackle, back, cushion and wind bows.
    UNDERCOLOR: dull black.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  6. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Huh! I never thought of that!! I bet he is a Dutch. Here's another view of him. Unfortunately, I don't have a good view.

[​IMG]

YEP!! Looked on www.feathersite.com and sure enough! A black Dutch bantam! Thanks so much!! Becky, maybe that's what you have, too!

7. hippiechicks

hippiechicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    OHIO Go Bucks!!
    if you look at this web site they have pic of some www.dutchbantamsocietyamerica.com
    Sorry go to articles and the last link will be Color Descriptions of the Dutch Bantam Varieties

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by