Please some advice

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by justafewchicks, Feb 10, 2011.

1. justafewchicks

justafewchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    I just received my first chicks (pics are on the Raising baby chicks thread) I got 11 packing peanuts. Called Ideal they said probably leghorns. We have decided to make use of them as I can't technically have roosters
    1. Is it best to feed these differently, if so what?
    2. How old should they be when their day comes?

Thank you

2. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Raise them the same as your other chicks.
    I don't think you will get much meat out of them and it will take a while, (several months).

3. justafewchicks

justafewchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    think it would be better to have them meet their maker rather than making them the meat

4. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:Why is that? Why waste them? I order straight run for meat birds but hens when ordering anything else. Any extras or mis sexed birds are put in the freezer. Why waste the life when the meat can feed my family?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the thought was it will take a long time--four-six months--for leghorn roosters to gain enough size to be worth butchering. And by that time they will have reached maturity, with all the crowing, dominance, etc that entails. Kinda makes it hard to keep them under wraps!
    But, you can feed them up and butcher them small, like under four pounds, for fryers, maybe?

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Leghorns don't get as meaty as other standard-breed birds, but you could still process them when they're 16-20 weeks and eat them. You can go ahead and raise them along with your others, special feeding or brooding probably wouldn't make any difference in their weight. You may even luck out and have a pullet or two in there, or a breed other than Leghorns.

7. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    post them for sale or use as egg layers if pullets. not good for meat. Alot of people like them and would take them.

8. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:they can eat the same feed has a chicks. . they are good egg layers you will get 1 large white egg daily . leg horns do eat less than any of the breeds of large fowl. they wont make good meat chicken they donot get fat so sell them now

9. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    not good for meat.

We used to eat Leghorns all the time when I was a kid. Tasted fine to me and the drumsticks are decent size. Breasts are on the small side but still good eating. If you get any pullets, they will reward you with a ton of eggs too.​

10. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Like Soaring Chick said, you might be able to sell them. White leghorns are great layers, and right now a lot of people are just starting to keep hens. Someone may want a future roo in addition to pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by