Please somebody help me!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gonzo, May 13, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    My little polish rooster has a sour crop. He's acting normal, but I can't get his crop to go down! I have him by himself, and I have organic acv in his water and have been feeding him yogurt only, and trying to empty his crop daily. I noticed today, he had a dark gree runny poo. What should I do? I'm scared we're going to lose him!

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Have you tried vegetable oil? Putting some drops of that in his mouth and massaging the crop can help. What kind of waterer are you using? I am under the impression that the galvanized waterers can cause this problem. Maybe someone else will chime in too. Try the massaging. Good luck

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I tried mineral oil on Monday with the ACV , & we use plastic waters... I massage it a few times a day. tuesday, I tried holding him upside down to get the fluid out and got a few tablespoons worth, yesterday I got a decent amount, today nothing at all. How would I know if he has a fungal infection?

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Is there a bad odor coming from his breath?

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    there was yesterday, I couldn't get him to open his mouth for me today..

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    The only other thing I could suggest is that you get some sort of antifungal medication from your vet. Nystatin for example. You seem to have done everything I have heard of to try. Good luck and keep us posted.

7. esthermgr

esthermgr Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Try warm olive oil in a medicine dropper with massage, twice a day. That worked for a case of sour crop in my flock. Feeding moist mash is also recommended, although I never had to do that. There is also a good video floating around here of last-resort crop surgery. Seems extreme to me, but if your chicken is going to die you may as well try it. The woman who did it said she was a surgical nurse, so I guess she had scalpels, etc.

I'm not sure about this, but I've heard that pooing weird stuff can be good if it means they are starting to pass the fermented mess out of their crops.

8. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have heard of using a small syringe with cheap red wine. I think the recommended amount was about 3 cc. Try to do a search for sour crop & wine and you'll find lots of info. Good luck.[​IMG]

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    He's better today! Poo is normal, crop looks normal! Now.... when can he go back with the others?

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I'm glad he is better. What does his crop feel like? Has it emptied? I'd be afraid of too much, too soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by