PLEASE SOMEONE HELP! Marek's or Lymphoid Leukosis??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mags2009, Nov 27, 2013.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have lost 10 chickens since July. We got 6 day-old chicks (NPIP certified breeder said they were vaccinated, but I have doubts) One died the next day, not uncommon. One died from a predator. Then one kept sitting (at about 3 months old) it died. Then two others were "paralyzed" one a foot, and the other just kept sitting. I contacted the breeder ,and she suggested vitamin b therapy. We tried that for two weeks, no change. They seemed ok except for being paralyzed. We culled them. Then the other of this flock (2 months later) got lethargic, pasty poop, and drooling? We culled. Then all the rest since then have been 3 years old or more. They all have had some sort of paralysis, either legs, or wings. The symptoms I first notice is lethargy, keeping to themselves, wasting away, and paralysis. The last one, I had to cull today was 3 1/2 year old Splash Amerauana that started with the paralyzed wing. It started last weekend. TOday she was on her back in the coop, unable to get up. She could only move her head. I now have 4 chicks ( that we hatched from the one that we put down today) 5 hens, and one Roo left. All of my chickens besides the 6 I got and the new 4 were from My Pet Chicken or Meyer Hatchery and were vaccinated for Mareks. Should I cull the rest and let the coop sit for the winter as well as cleaning and disinfecting? Please advise.
    Kerry (I love my chickens so much! They are my pets, and we have never had any disease! I have a couple now that are almost 6 years old!) This is devastating!!!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess would be that they had Marek's. Marek's is more common, and tends to affect young birds. Unfortunately, you really can't get rid of Marek's once it is on your property-- even if you let the coop sit for the winter, the Marek's virus would still be around. I'm not sure why so many of your birds got sick even though they were vaccinated. Usually, Marek's disease only affects about 10% of vaccinated birds, if that.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Wyandottes7--despite your chicks being vaccinated, I think Marek's is more likely. But it is very difficult to know for sure (unless you have them tested), so I could very well be wrong. The only other cause that I can think of is botulism or another type of poisoning. Could any of the sick birds have come into contact with dead/rotting animals, moldy feed, or decaying plant matter?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    This is a personal descision only you can make.my heart goes out to you it really does. Mareks can be a devastating disease. You can still move foward with out culling.if it is mareks which it sounds like the virus can stay on the land for years. I would talk to folks who are dealing with this and see how they are
    moving forward in a positive direction. I know some
    are breeding for resistance. Culling is not going to
    rid the land of the virus as I understand it . Maybe you can get some direction from these folks who are dealing with and managing this disease. Culling is always an option but I would get some opinions and perspective from those dealing with it before I made my decision. As I understand it there is really not a way to remove it off the land. I could be wrong but from what I've read its every where. The key would be trying to manage it in the best possible way. I don't have those answers but they're are many here who have done extensive resesrch on this virus and I'm sure they can give you some idea on how to move foward in a positive way. I do wish you the best in which ever decisions you make and I'm very sorry you have to go through this. I would look into some alternative methods of dealing with the virus before you make any decisions. I wish you the best.

5. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thank you so much for the replies. Many times no one replies and I feel very alone in this!!! I just thought Mareks was only in younger birds. My chicks are now almost 2 months old and they seem fine so far...does anyone know a person on here that has dealt with Mareks or Leukosis and what they did? Thanks again...this is SO hard. I love my birds so much. I get a pit in my stomach every time I go out to the coop now, instead of a smile...:(

Kerry

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some people who have dealt with Marek's include Nambroth and Casportpony (I think). If you do a search for information on Marek's on this site, you'll come up with lots of threads about people who are dealing with Marek's. An especially good thread is "Not an Emergency, Marek's In Flock".

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Your not alone there are many here going through the very same thing. Also we are ALL at risk. Mareks is every where!! All we have is the vaccine and that does not Even protect us 100%. Every one should be concerned about this awful virus. I am so so sorry your going through this pain. Hopefully you will be able to move foward in a positive direction. Look at the thread Not a emergency Mareks in the flock and read there stories. I'm certain they can help you deal with this and move foward the best you can. I wish you the best and hope this helps.

8. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thank you so much

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you contact your state vet or county extension agent you can have a necropsy done to determine the cause of death. I believe the body must be kept refrigerated and thus it would need to be done with the next loss as it is probably too late to send off one of your already deceased hens.

I am sorry for your losses. It does sound like it could be Mareks but I am no expert. It may be worth it to you to find out what exactly the diagnosis is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by