Please someone help us out....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elizafern, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Elizafern

Elizafern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    My cousin and I have 10 chickens. They all started with sneezing and runny noses 2 weeks ago. We treated them with Tetroxy HCA for the last 14 days. 9 out of the 10 are all better. But we have one that is still sneezing. Can I still treat her with the tetroxy? Or should I do something else for her? Please help us out here.. We are both new to having chickens.

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    yes keep treating her but take her away from them

3. Elizafern

Elizafern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    It is safe to continue treatment? I read online not to treat them more that 14 days..

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There are other medicines that may treat your bird that is not recovering with just the med you've used. There is a Poultry Medicine Chart on my site linked in my sig where you can look up some possible options.

I wouldn't give the same med any longer, as it may be killing off too much of particular "good" bacteria in your birds too much & also may be hard on their systems in other ways. You can give tetracyclines (the class of med Tetroxy is in) longer than many other meds, but more than 14 days would be really a long time.

I would try switching to another applicable medicine that may finish off the bacteria that are particularly resilient in your one bird. If you are able to give the new med to just the one sick bird, that may be ideal if it is one you can administer easily enough to just one.

It would also help all your birds to get them eating probiotics to help rebuild their good bacteria now. Personally, I even recommend giving it to birds sometimes during medicine treatments if you can stagger it to be several hours away from when you dose with antibiotics. That way the good bacteria can fight bad germs for at least a few hours every day.

Your one bird may gradually recover without more medicine, or she may end up with a lasting problem that can't be cured well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by