Please stop me if I'm about to make a big mistake

crowdofmyself

Songster
Jun 10, 2018
Athens, GA
When Wayfair sent me a completely new patio gazebo free when two of the bolts in my first one were bent, I took the leap to seriously override my partner's objections to chickens. Here's the gazebo, and I have a second one I will use as my run frame, sans the fabric cover and raised venting portion of the structure: https://goo.gl/WVG9Zb

I plan to totally enclose the top and sides with black 2x3 welded wire fencing and bend some hardware cloth to be a ground skirt and side protection up to about 18" to 2'.

I ordered a small Formex Snap-lock coop (https://goo.gl/xQDE9p) and a Gorilla cart (https://goo.gl/MKPkjT). I'm going to build the frame for the coop per the instructions and see if there is any way to rig it so it will sit on top of the Gorilla cart and be stable; that will give me a way to pull the coop all around our big lot and put up temporary free-range pens around it with ziplocks and the twelve 2x4 gridwall panels I use in various ways in my garden. If I can't figure this out, I'll just build a fixed frame with 2' underneath as they recommend. But the Gorilla cart would also sit the coop up off the ground about 2' and give me a place to stick stuff underneath and also a little space on the ~10" overhangs to hang water and/or food.

I'll seat regular concrete blocks on top of the hardware cloth skirt all around the outside of the gazebo frame with liriope or something hardy/perennial chickens can eat planted in them. The door to the run is what's got me perplexed (for I am not handy), but I'm thinking I'll get a 2x6 pack of gridwall panels (https://goo.gl/w5qMPv) and use two of them (covered with hardware cloth, too, at least at the bottom) as a door into my run affixed with carabiners. That would give me a four-foot door width and the 40" coop on wheels would fit through that if I want to pull it out occasionally. I'd use three 16" pavers as a threshold. Maybe???

I ordered the Hentronix automatic door opener and just have to watch the sun patterns to see if I can mount the solar panel on the egg-side roof or if I'll have to set it out with an extension cord. I roughed out what I think the coop will be like within the run, and there are a number of ways the whole thing could be positioned depending on what the sun/shade needs are.

I also have an old 9' patio umbrella with weighted stand that I could sit in the middle of the run if need be to provide an added deterrent to overhead predators. But I very much have to see and feel physically how things will come together, drag things around, think about it, etc. No doubt I'm leaving out something extremely important in my visualizations. Please tell me if you see anything I'm missing! I don't want to do all the work only to realize the best laid plans won't work....

Attachments

• Gazebo Chicken Run.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Where I'm thinking of putting this coop is under a shady branch, so I hope it will work. But I also have a 10x10 shade sail I could put over the top of the gazebo if I need to. Would that work?

Welcome to BYC!!

I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with the plastic coop, so I can't comment there.

It can help others help you more efficiently if you list your location (to whatever degree) in your profile.

Are you subject to high winds at all? I am so I'd be very concerned with anchoring the gazebo canopy securely. Even with walls it could be easily carried away in a strong wind.

Of course it's easy to be excited about getting chickens! But don't rush into anything unnecessarily. There are so many different aspects that need addressing in order to care for them well. Many folks talk a year or more to plan their chicken infrastructure and keeping methods.

Chicks grow up unbelievably quickly! It's best to have their coop/run already built before the chicks arrive :) Unless you prefer performing under imposing deadlines ;)

Good luck!

We haven't had much wind here, other than mild breezes, but I'm planning to anchor the gazebo well just in case. And if I'll have hardware cloth attached all around in a piece (folded) to be a ground skirt and up the sides of the gazebo, and then the concrete blocks sitting on top of the ground part, so won't that help anchor it all, too? I wish I were an engineer so I understood more about the dynamics involved. But I've let my fears keep me from getting chickens for more than a decade. I finally told myself: What's the worst that can happen? My chickens will all be killed! When I was able to live with that thought, that was when I began to let myself actually move forward toward actually getting some chickens!

I'm not sure how to permanently add my location to my profile. I just put in a status update with Athens, Ga and Zone 8, but is that how you do it?

OP - I'm not sure how to permanently add my location to my profile. I just put in a status update with Athens, Ga and Zone 8, but is that how you do it?

Hover over your Account (upper right corner, left)
A listing in white will appear, click on Personal Data
Go down to location & fill in
Save

Back
Top Bottom