Please take a look! Eye injury or illness we need to be worried about?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickendreams24, Mar 20, 2017.

1. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    we have had a chick since December that at first seemed a failure to thrive now I'm not sure.

It has grown slowly but steadily. She has never been thin before but has not even finished feathering and part of her underside is naked. She has in fact had quite a lot of breast meat.

At this age she is about the size of an average 8 week old chick. Despite this she has been completely healthy. She is a chocolate cuckoo English Orpington. At this point I feel sure it's a pullet although her small size and such could of course make a cockeral develop slower.

Mid last week she began holding one eye slightly closed. We looked and it appeared okay but we did treat it with terramycin opthalmic ointment. By Friday her eye was extremely swollen and she wasn't eating or drinking on Friday that we saw. Because of this we immediately pulled her into the house.

We began supportive therapy including force feeding water and electrolytes and then Friday night after we had rehydrated her with a syringe we did the same with feed.
    Her eye in spite of the treatment had become massively swollen and ulcerated. Her eye was shut but not goopy on Friday and Saturday. Saturday she showed a little interest in drinking on her own and even in wanting the syringe of feed. She had been very lethargic on Friday so I was thrilled.

She has no symptoms of respiratory illness that we've seen and now has her bad eye open. It was extremely hot to the touch on Friday and especially Saturday. We have been giving her shots of tylan 50 in addition to the eye ointment.

There is no smell. Her bad eye appears to have some scar tissue or something on the lower half of it and I'm wondering if she was injured somehow or of this is a symptom to an illness that we need to worry about.

Her other eye is now also being treated (completely separate so as not to cross contaminate it from the other) as she is holding it partially closed. It is not swollen nor red, hot, or oozing either. The first eye is still swollen and very red but not so hot as it was. I am worried she may have been having such trouble because she was half blind from her eye and that is why she rapidly lost a lot of weight between last Wednesday and last Friday.
    She is being fed a soaked wet show bird game bird starter for the high protein level with a small ammount of applesauce in the mix for ease of eating. I mix this up and then handfeed it to her with a spoon. I mix it very moist to supplement her water intake as she isn't currently drinking on her own she has problems finding it.

Two of her hatch mates have died in the last month or two from unknown causes. Both very large healthy chicks. One had no symptoms we saw until she was suddenly dead. The other was unable to stand but not paralyzed and rapidly lost weight but continued to eat and drink until the end. Neither of them had any respiratory or eye involvement.

We have never had any experience with Marek's disease, but it doesn't seem to fit to me. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also none of the rest of the flock have any symptoms of anything going on. Also the rest of the juveniles she was raised with are entirely healthy and active.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all I will try to snap some pics tonight.

I really don't want to lose this chick unless this is something incurable or that she could become a carrier of. She's​ incredibly sweet and vocal. When she was lethargic on Friday she didn't make a sound and I thought we were going to lose her. Since Saturday she talks to me a lot and greets me when I walk into our bathroom where her crate is. I would like to have her out more but our cats make that impossible.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys. I hope it's good news.

2. brady24

brady24 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016
    I think the chick is fine.

3. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA

Would you mind elaborating? Do you mean you think it's an infected injury rather than an illness or disease?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about lossing the 2 chicks. Can you take in a few droppings of the sick chick to see if there might be a worm or coccidiosis infestation? How is the air circulation in your coop? Is there an ammonia odor in the coop from droppings? Eyes can become red and swollen from ammonia fumes which can cause ulceration of the cornea in extreme cases. Eye injuries from pecking, or infection can be possible causes. There have been reports of foreign bodies in the eye causing a massive infection that resembled respiratory diseases. Most of us cannot afford vet care, but they have better antibiotics, in case it could be an E.coli infection, common around coops. It would really help to get a necropsy done by your state poultry lab or state vet, if you should lose her or another chicken. There are diseases that can cause immunity problems, such as avian leukosis or Mareks. Cocci can be chronic and cause stunting as well as immunity problems to common diseases. As you can imagine, it can be hard to diagnose what is going on without lab work.

5. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    We did at first think cocci but they were treated. They were also given a preventative dose at about 8 weeks while we brought them in clods of dirt, thanks to our late freeze last December.

Our local vet doesn't do anything poultry. We do have a farm get that does things for poultry but of course they're very expensive and they seemed to think I was nuts last year when I asked about possibly testing or treating for worms.

While I have never worked then I've never seen any signs and we've never seen worms in any of the birds we have processed. I have opened up some intestines and such after the birds were done and put away just to see but have found nothing.

The air circulation is pretty good actually and we rarely have an ammonia smell. Plus with the weather being somewhat nicer than we would usually have had for this time of year we've been able to keep just the security door(made of fencing) on and left the inner door open. While the chick was in a grow out pen in the coop with others that was getting dirtier fast than the rest of the coop we were adding shavings and cleaning it regularly.

The swelling seems less today and the eye seems less red as well. Hopefully that's a good sign.

If it were ammonia related wouldn't she more likely be having problems with both eyes. I know I mentioned her other eye being held slightly shut and that I had begun treatment on it. Well I'm glad to say it has not become red or swollen and seems fine.

Yeah while I'm not a novice to everything I really don't know what to make of this chick. We had another one from the same parents. Two eggs hatched from the same birds in two separate incubators. Both chicks were severely stunted although there was a few weeks difference. Although growing normally. However the rest of the chicks were entirely normal. The older little one passed unexpectedly at about 10 weeks it was much smaller than even the other one. However neither ever had health problems.

We do plan to get a necropsy done if this chick should pass. Unfortunately it's not free in our state and is quite expensive.

The rest of the other juveniles seem to be completely healthy and all seem on track other than one little girl that broke her beak just mildly, which we are reshaping.

I'm at a loss and worried about what a necropsy could show. Do her symptoms seem to match up with any illnesses anyone can think of? My greatest fear would be that we would have to cull the flock.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, with ammonia toxicity, there probably would be swollen reddened eyelids in both eyes, and in more chickens. Bacteria, mold fungus, and vitamin deficiencies can all be causes of eye problems. It is hard to know what is going on without testing or a necropsy. You might try calling your state vet's office and ask if there is any way to waive the cost of the necropsy--it certainly cannot hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by