1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Woman, Feb 11, 2009.

  1. Chicken Woman

    Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

    2,465
    14
    181
    Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.

    Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

    Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

    Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

    This Snopes site gives the following information:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp


    Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by ? Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

    PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!
     
  2. kryptoniteqhs

    kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

    Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks for the info....ill spread the word....and why arent they taking it off thet shelf? and why is it advertised to keep cats away when it does, but it fails to mention it kills them?????
     
  3. spookyevilone

    spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

    701
    1
    141
    Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Wow, I need to put this stuff in my yard this year. Maybe it'll keep the lady down the block from letting her dogs do their business in my yard - which she never cleans up.


    (I am just kidding. I would never punish the animal, no matter how much I want to kick the owner.)
    -Spooky
     
  4. RedHead

    RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

    521
    0
    139
    Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    Thanks for the info! I'll share what I just recently got sent as well. I know it's not about the same thing, but I figured I'd jump on this one and share it as well! Especially since a LOT of you have children as well as pets!
    This was emailed to me by a very good friend:
    Warning for your animal's health:

    Recently someone had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

    My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wet jet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that anitfreeze is one of the ingredients. (actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from anitfreeze).

    Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking it's own paws, and the dog eating from its dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor cleaned with this product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals.
     
  5. cyanne

    cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

    512
    1
    139
    May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
  6. Chicken Woman

    Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

    2,465
    14
    181
    Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by