Please tell me about Weeder Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Hopefulloflove, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Do they really only eat the weeds? Thanks!

2. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Anyone?

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Well there are many posts on weeder geese if you have any real interest. I was going to give you a pass until I noticed the NC address.
    Short answer is heck no they don't eat only the weeds. If you let them into a average garden the weeds will be the last thing they will eat. Never the less if done right they will weed a field crop cleaner than you could with a hoe. the trick is to have the crop plants far enough along to be tough, then they will eat the tender baby weeds before starting on the crop plants. that is the point that you move to where there are more tender weeds. This is not a start and leave type process, some one has to be there to move the geese when needed.~gd

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My geese love weeds. They love any broad leaf plant, like lettuce, chard, radishes, anything in my veggie garden and all my flower plants..

They have weeded my orchard completely bare of weeds and also removed all leafs off the fruit trees as high as they can reach. They like the leafs off the rose bushes.

They do a great job in the orchard and I hand pull the weeds in the veggie garden and take them to the geese.

They like young grass and do a decent job with keeping grass short, as long as they are fenced out of any other plant you want to keep.

Mine have just started to pull leafs off my iris plants, so now I have to go and dig up all the iris in the orchard and move them to where the geese can't reach them.

5. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:Thanks for the warning: I have blueberry and goumi berry bushes in an area adjacent to the pasture where I am putting my geese (getting a pair of Pomeranians this weekend). I guess I'll have to put up a fence around those if I don't want them defoliated. [​IMG]

6. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Thank you everyone for the info! [​IMG]

7. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    WEEDER GEESE IS A MYTH IMO. [​IMG]
    I have 3 large geese pens full of weeds
    and the grass chewed down to nubbins.
    Oh they may nibble here and there on weeds
    but geese love and seek out GRASS not weeds.
    Maybe if they were starving they would eat them but
    in my experience geese are totally worthless for controlling weeds.

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I don't dare say what I really think. Grass is usually considered a weed in a field row crop. If you give them the choice between fresh grass shoots and tender young weeds they will eat the grass first. If you give them the choice between old tough grass and young weeds they will eat the weeds first. Weeder geese have to be MANAGED to have them perform, they are made not born.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by