Please tell me about your call ducks!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by michelle89, Oct 6, 2011.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm already thinking about spring time and I'd like to get two call ducks. What do I need to know, are they just like other ducks? Information please!!
    Thank you![​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    They are extremely loud. I had a trio for about 8 months. If the drake had been fertile, I might've kept them, but since he wasn't, they had almost no redeeming qualities. They were not "personable" ducks, difficult to handle, and the messiest creatures I have ever encountered, even taking a 2 year old with a plate of spaghetti into consideration.

I know that's not the popular opinion of Calls, I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't love them. Although, even my 10 year old DS was not sad to see them go, and he wants to keep EVERYTHING.... [​IMG]

3. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Lol! I have four, they free range in my back garden. They ARE noisy! But they are my babies! They gather round the back door when I play the piano or my uke. They yell out anytime they want attention or treats. When I take my work out into the garden they all snuggle round me if I'm on the grass, or gather under my chair if I'm not and fall asleep (it's very hard to work when you have four little fat fuzzballs snoozing next to you lol!) They are my little sweethearts. They come running to see me like I've been away for years even if I just nipped in the house for a few minutes. They are wonderful. Even my neighbours love them and don't mind the noise. And they ARE LOUD!
    They are also bossy, they make a racket in the hut in the morning if they decide that they want to come out and play before I am awake. They are demanding and WILL stand outside the backdoor YELLING for treats, knowing full well that at some point I'm going to have to give in because although I haven't found them yet, I'm pretty sure my neighbours must have SOME limits to noise! They have also put holes in my lawn and have successfully sneaked into my neighbour's garden several times and put holes in theirs too... [​IMG]
    I adore them. They are crazy hard work. And they do poop everywhere, but mine are worth it! I have however heard someone once describe their call duck as meaner than an acre of snakes lol! So I guess it could go either way with calls!

Here is Doog, in case a picture might sway you! (They are not show calls, I know!)

[​IMG]

Oh and here is Rory getting snoogles from my husband

[​IMG]

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If you are looking for calls, you won't get them in the spring. They are too tiny and fragile to ship as hatchlings. They are normally shipped in fall when the temps lower. No birds can e shipped when the temps are above 85.

Calls like other fowl need to be handled and take time working with them to make them personable. All of ours talk to us and share their day of adventures. They all come running when I call, those in the breeding pens mob me at their doors wanting attention.

We dump the pools in the breeding pens every other day. They are fed twice a day, and given chopped greens, veggies and fruit mid day. We also fill the grass bins in the raised pens daily.

The girls are loud, VERY loud in fact. The boys go wasp wasp. Calls can fly very well, those in the yard have a wing clipped so they don't wonder. They get along with everyone from our dogs and goats to the chickens and geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by