Please tell me about your Speckled Sussex.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fjorddreamer, Sep 1, 2009.

1. fjorddreamer

fjorddreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Hi there,

I want more info on Speckled Sussex, from people who have them. I have a four month old hen and my uncle has a four month old rooster that he will give me, if I want it. They are both lovely birds, so am considering getting the rooster. Are they normally docile and quiet as my hen seems to be? How is their laying? Am I right that they are considered to be a Heritage Breed.

Info and pictures would be great!!!!! Thanks!

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sussex is usually a mellow breed. Laying probably varies a bit from strain to strain but generally ought to be good. They have been bred for their dual purpose qualities, in farmyards, for centuries

3. silkielovr

silkielovr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hi! Yes I have some and I love them!!!
    I am obsessed with Silkies and the Speckled Sussex is the only other chicken I want to keep around.
    They lovely tinted eggs, and super sweet natured and hang around and visit and "talk" to me when I go out and sit in the yard.
    Plus they are beautiful!
    Haven't seen any tendency to set though, but that is OK because I don't have a rooster to match just a White Silkie!!!

4. fjorddreamer

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Quote:Well, I am obsessed with Silkies too! I have several and so I know that I can hatch out any fertile Sussex eggs next spring. I also, love, love, love my buff orpingtons. Very quiet, docile and gentle. So, since my silkies and orpingtons are like that, I wanted another breed the same. Sounds like you think the Speckled Sussex will fit right in. :)

5. silkielovr

silkielovr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Yep I love the Buff O also. Used to have lots and they are wonderful birds.
    I don't have tons of chicken space so need to keep the numbers down and have decided to just keep the SS hens and the Silkies.
    I wish I had a SS roo, I know other folks sure want some chicks from my hens but they want purebreds.
    I need to get a pic of some of the half breeds I raised from the SS hens and a Golden Penciled Wyandott roo, They are very, very, pretty I think.
    Best of both breeds [to me]
    And Oh, Oh, I have 4 chicks from White Silkie and the SS hens too, They are very nice.....big muffs and beards and feathered legs, very colorful too.
    One has a big old "cowlick" on its head, not a crest just a patch sticking straight up.
    They are just babies so I'm anxious to see them as they grow

6. fjorddreamer

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    Where are the rest of the Speckled Sussex fans?!! I'd love to hear more about why you like them, and maybe see some pictures. I'm trying to make a decisions as to whether I should get the rooster that's been offered to me.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My SS are some of my friendliest and calmest breeds. They are underfoot all the time and I always have to watch so I don't step on them. They have been good consistant layers for me.

8. nursecat9

nursecat9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I have 4 SS pullets and 1 SS roo. They are only 14 weeks old, so no eggs yet, and no cockadoodle doo yet either. They are all beautiful and friendly birds. My roo is very nice and is starting to do the whole "watch over my flock" thing. I would definitely get the roo if you're allowed! Super nice! [​IMG]

9. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    I have one Speckled Sussex pullet (Sookie) and she has a very curious, friendly, relatively calm personality about her. Even though she hasn't started laying yet, I am impressed with the Sussex personality plus she is just beautiful! [​IMG]

10. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I had this long reply all typed out when my mouse decided to go crazy. Now I have a new mouse plugged in.. I'll try again.

I love our SS. They are so friendly and calm. Especially the ones we raised from a few days old chicks. We also have silkies and their tempermments are very similar. But the silkies make the SS look like mensa members.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by