PLEASE tell me all you know about Plymouth rocks and Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TACEYPERKINS, May 11, 2010.

1. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Hi I am looking to add a flock of nice temperament layers. I want a breed that is not a hybrid or hatchery stock. I would like a fast maturing breed that is a great layer I would like to know how the temperament is on these breeds. I would like to get a consensus of what people think about the breed in general. I was looking at Silver penciled Plymouth rocks and Blue or Silver laced Wyandottes. And what do you think about Speckled sussex or Welsummers?
    What are your experiences with these breeds?
    Or do you have any better suggestion that would fit my needs?
    PLEASE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE YOU CAN. Thank you!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I have 3 different color varieties of wyandottes. They are a calm, friendly breed and like to go broody quite frequently.

My speckled sussex were probably the tamest and most friendly breed I've ever had.

My welsummers were very good layers and while not as friendly as some of my breeds weren't unfriendly or flighty at all.

3. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    You may want to look at australorps. I would have some but i'm at my limit now.

4. B. Kossum

B. Kossum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    I spend a lot of time with my chickens (watching and cleaning up after them), but I don't really handle them that much. Most of them are pretty wild and would rather be left alone, but even with the minimal handling my Barred Rock and my White Rock will still approach me and not squawk much when I do pick them up (especially the Barred Rock). I was going to eat the White, but her relative tameness has got me eyeing my crazy Rhode Island Red instead. I would also recommend a Buff Orpington. In my opinion, they are friendly, not too broody (they will set if you need them too), good layers, and not afraid of anything.

5. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Here is a great breed/personality/origin resource!

I'm new, but Australorps are quickly becoming my favorite chicken breed. Not only are they stunning in the light, with green and purple sheen, but they're friendly, quiet, and easily contained. Australorps were immediately recommended to me for my backyard flock, and it's easy to see how they've earned their esteem as a backyard bird. The breed also holds the record for most eggs laid per year!
    [​IMG]

The other adult hen I got was an Ameraucana, who was entertaining and laid beautiful blue eggs, but was noisy and not easily contained.

Speckled Sussex, Barred Plymouth Rock, and Easter Egger (a hybrid) are the young laying-breed pullets I have in my flock. They were all well-handled by the kids from whose house they originated. The Speckled Sussex has the most friendly and relaxed personality, the Plymouth Rocks are the most skitterish but curious and active, and the Easter Eggers are the first to run to me and easiest to handle as well as being the most entertaining. I think I'll always have Easter Eggers in my flock, if not consisting of my entire flock -- I'm a fan of "hybrid vigor" a.k.a. increased health, and they're charming birds. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks are fabulous, but rarely brood. The show types in general tend to be less frequent layers than the hatchery or descended- from-hatchery stock, though, from what I've seen. I love Barred Rocks for friendly personality, inquisitive nature and laying consistency.

I've had several hatchery Wyandottes. They were excellent layers, but not as friendly or personable as the Barred Rocks, overall.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Quote:The breeds you mention are Heritage breeds. These are known for slower growing but great laying and temperments. You will not find these very common as the ones you listed are very rare except threw hatcheries. There are good hatcheries and there are not so good. Since you do not plan on breeding I would not worry so much about getting hatchery stock. They will be the best layers than those from a breeder. Any of the breeds you mention will lay great but will not grow fast. Look to Delawares for both or New Hampshire Reds. These 2 breeds grow fast and lay good.

8. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have Austrolorps and Gold-Laced Wyandottes along with some sexlinks I picked up at TSC. I got the Wyandottes and Austrolorps from a family owned feed supply store nearby that orders the more rare breeds. The Austrolorps are the most friendly out of all of them. I can pick up all 3 and pet them. They're the noisiest out of all my hens. They're supposed to be quiet but they chatter all day. One is broody and we call her The General. She will still lay an egg tho. I may not be able to pick up the Wyandottes, but I wouldn't trade them for anything. The "standard" is for them to have a flat comb and not a tall one, but one of them has a comb that flops over to the side. I like her the most because she's "different". Her name is Miss Jaunty Barret. [​IMG] They all lay an egg just about every day. They're similar in color and shape and sometimes hard to tell apart.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have Silver Penciled Rocks and they are definitely NOT fast maturing. Mine are almost 7 weeks old now, and the breeder also stated that they are very slow to mature. Don't know about egg laying yet, obviously.

Now my Barred Rock matured quickly and her eggs are extremely large, and she lays a lot of them.

From what I understand about Wyandottes (I don't have them but a friend of mine does) is they are very standoffish (if that's a word), but they do tend to go broody.

My welsummers are not super cuddly, but they will eat out of my hand. Both my girls started laying in their 24th week, and have been laying now for 2 weeks. I love the color of the eggs.

I don't know much about Speckled sussex other than they are very pretty and are supposedly great layers.

10. jzarabs

jzarabs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    My Barred rock is definitely a social girl, she is always at the fence on whichever side I'm on, trying to talk some treats out of me! I have a white rock who's personality is much more aloof/wild than the barred. I also have a silver laced wyandotte who is not as sociable as the barred rock but very mellow and lays quite well. She is also the youngest of the flock so has "low man" status in the group which may effect her sociability.
    I'm adding more wyandottes to the herd, if I did it over I'd stick with the barred rocks and wyandottes exclusively, as I plan to do in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by