Please tell me he'll out grow this...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChicksinFL, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ChicksinFL

ChicksinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Our cockeral has just started to crow in the past two weeks... at first it was a strained baby crow and now he's got his nice loud crow down pat but he does it ALL DAY! He'll stop eating to crow, he crows about 12 times an hour and is LOUD LOUD LOUD! He's a Polish and I'm praying this isn't just how he'll always be. We can have roo's here but I'm thinking this all day crowing might get on the nieghbors nerves as I know they hear him even though we all have 5 to 10 acres here where we live. Heck it's getting on my nerves a bit and we love the silly bird.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It is possible he is going through an "adolescent" phase, but there is no guarantee he will reduce his day time crowing.

3. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    scratch'n'peck :

It is possible he is going through an "adolescent" phase, but there is no guarantee he will reduce his day time crowing.

Would it have anything to do with being in with his pullet ... though when the girls take her to come in to watch TV he crows even more.​

4. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have 2 roosters and they both crow all day long. I keep one in my yard and he stands on my back porch and crows until I bring him treats all day long!

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

My RIR did that too when he was an adolescent. Now that he's a little older the crowing has slowed down, but only a little. He still crows all day long for any one of a great number of reasons or for no reason at all!

6. ChicksinFL

Aug 11, 2011
    I sat out near the pen for a bit today working on another project with my girls. I got to listen to him for a bit I notice the pullet does these really soft cluck noises then he crows. Its a almost as if they are flirting!

I also talked to my nearest neighbor after she and her three yr old discussed the crowing. The little boy was convinced it was a cat making the noise even though mom told him it was a rooster. She said she likes the farm animal sounds. They love our goats and horses always giving treats after calling to be sure its OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by