&%$# Please tell me I can still trim a wing, my teenage muscovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ksj0225, Oct 24, 2011.

1. ksj0225

ksj0225 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    [​IMG]

Please tell me I can still trim a wing, my teenage muscovies are flying over a busy highway. They are old enough to fly far, but not old enough to be fat enough to be grounded well. They come back but I don't want them to end up getting killed or annoying the neighbors or getting shot by the hunters....

The #%*& guineas taught them to fly... I know how to trim the feathers on one wing and I've done it before. But I can never remember what time of the year there is blood in that one long wing tip... Did I wait too late????

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Are they in molt? if not go ahead and trim, the only time you have to be careful is when the have molted and the new flight feathers haven't grown in all the way, like my muscovies are still getting their flight feather in from molting so i have to wait a little longer. Yes trim before they end up on someones wind shield. .

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Trust me the guineas didn't teach them to fly. Mine are about 4 months old and flying all over and walking into the road which has made me have to put lots of them in kennels. But when I catch them I clip the Dickens out one wing so when the fence is complete and they are free to free range again they will not be flying over it or they will be Thanksgiving dinner.

4. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Trust me the guineas didn't teach them to fly. Mine are about 4 months old and flying all over and walking into the road which has made me have to put lots of them in kennels. But when I catch them I clip the Dickens out one wing so when the fence is complete and they are free to free range again they will not be flying over it or they will be Thanksgiving dinner.

2X! Some strains of Muscovy are just the wandering sort. I've had one strain of FWP Muscovy that I simply couldn't keep in my yard because even with wings trimmed they could flap-hop up to the fence rail. The other FWP strain never cared to leave the yard. Most of those girls never got their wings trimmed at all and they were more than happy to stick close to home and stay inside the fence.

Guess which strain of Muscovy went to freezer camp?​

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, you can trim their wings. Take it from me, PLEASE trim those wings. Mine fly about 1/2 mile down the road, come back and circle the property about 3 times, fly on my house, then fly on the aviary, circle 3 more times around the neighborhood and then come back. [​IMG] They are excellent flyers. The guineas didn't teach them. If anything, they taught the guineas how to fly. [​IMG]

Good luck. I feel your pain. Hurry and clip those wings before they get killed.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    This is why you need to trim their wings. The fly and roost on my house. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Night time pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Well you'll never have to roof again it will just harden over with duck poop and water couldn't penetrate if it tried. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Well you'll never have to roof again it will just harden over with duck poop and water couldn't penetrate if it tried. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Well perfect example today a customer of mine came into the bank where I work and said D'Angelo 2 ducks literally flew across the road and I slammed on brakes to avoid hitting it. Well I am off tomorrow so ill take care of those that I couldn't catch or lure into the aviary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by