Please tell me I don't have to send anyone to freezer camp...(5 week old gender help)

Sarahelca

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
These are our first chicks. I've read up on sexing but I'm more confused than ever. I paid extra for "females" but obviously that's not always the case. I believe two are sex-linked (Barred Rock and Golden Buff). They're about five and a half weeks old.

This is Omar. (S)he's a Barred Rock.

This is Large Marge. (S)he's our Easter Egger.

This is Wee-bey. (S)he's a Golden Buff.

And finally Hot Wings. Our Rhode Island Red.

Seriously, my husband is not willing to kill them and our neighbors will kill us if we bring a rooster into this neighborhood. On a side note, they are fun as hell but I did not realize they got so big so quick. Thank god it's a warm winter in South Carolina.

I hate to say it, but it's very possible that your barred rock ( looks more like an easter egger), and rhode island red are both cockerels. I would wait another week, and if their combs get ANY larger or more pink, they are very likely cockerels..... sorry

the barred rock (which is not correct, barring and leg color is way off) looks like it is a cockerel and so does the RIR(atucally production red). But it is still early so besure to post again with updated pics in a few weeks to be 100% sure.

Last edited:
Well, that sucks. I got one of each of those breeds and was just guessing based off coloring as chicks. They were ordered of My Pet Chicken so I'm going to be a little upset if poor Omar is a boy. He's my favorite and since he was supposedly sex-linked, I thought I was safe. I'll post more pictures in a couple weeks. I should have known since they were all so healthy that something was bound to go wrong :(

I'm confused, you say Omar is a barred rock, then a sex link. They're different things, and if he is a black sex link, then he's male.

I'd wait a while and see how things turn out. I've seen a lot bigger combs on 5-6 week old cockerels. Those are a little bigger than I'd expect from a hen, but I've also seen much larger. Post again in a few weeks, and profile shots are best for sexing.

I was under the impression they had characteristics that make it easy to differentiate male and female at birth (I assumed this was sex-linked). I probably don't know what I'm talking about at all. This chicken stuff is very confusing. (S)he is a Barred Rock though. I will definitely post pics again in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
I'm confused, you say Omar is a barred rock, then a sex link. They're different things, and if he is a black sex link, then he's male.

I'd wait a while and see how things turn out. I've seen a lot bigger combs on 5-6 week old cockerels. Those are a little bigger than I'd expect from a hen, but I've also seen much larger. Post again in a few weeks, and profile shots are best for sexing.
I am also thinking that omar isnt a barred rock. He dosent have yellow legs a=or barring like he should if he was a barred rock. Did you order a black sex link?

I was under the impression they had characteristics that make it easy to differentiate male and female at birth (I assumed this was sex-linked). I probably don't know what I'm talking about at all. This chicken stuff is very confusing. I will definitely post pics again in a couple weeks.
black sex links can be sexed at hatch hints the name. I don't know about barred rocks. What did you order a barred rock or a black sex link?

Barred rocks do have traits that make it easier to sex at hatch, but I'm not sure if the hatcheries go off those or simply vent sex. Do you happen to have a picture of the top of it's head when you got it? The size and shape of the head spot help determine male and female on pure bred barred rocks. Then again, a black sex link male would look identical to a pure barred rock hen at that stage.

Back
Top Bottom